SUbsidence and Roof Damage

Cityliving

Hey all,

I have searched for subsidence but didnt find my answer so..

I have a family home and a normal 3 bed semi with garage to RHS its about 35 years old. About 20 years ago we had a 1 floor high extention built which included a 1 story slated roof building behind and attached to the garage and conservatory attached back of the house

In recent years we`ve seen some damage and in the last few months I have noticed that the ground to the right of the house (underneath the extension, and back into the garden and forward into the front driveway so the whole area to the side of the house) is beginning to really subside and is cuasing cracks in the walls and a gap in the roof where the extension and house meet.

Can this be claimed on insurance as the ground was stable at the time of build >20 years and its not the building/foundation thats going but the ground all along this area. Its not a faulty build but a true groud movement. Its really worrying my elderly Mum as she is scared her house will just get worse and worse.

Thanks so much

Hi I am a loss assessor and I do handle this type of claim from time to time.
The problem you have is proving that it is subsidence (as distinct from settlement which is not covered)
You need to advise your insurers of a possible subsidence claim and they will apoint a loss adjuster to investigate on their behalf.
You will need a structural engineer to provide a report.
Be prepared for a long drawn out process.

Back