Subscription to The Economist

Peckham

I am considering taking out a subscription to the Economist, however am wondering about how promptly I'll receive each issue.

Does anyone else here have/had a subscription - if so, on what day do you receive your copy, and how reliable is it (i.e. based on Irish postal service!).

Thanks

I used to subscribe to it- it would arrive on a Monday in Dublin 15, which is not ideal as I believe it is printed on a Thursday. A friend who also subscribes gets it delivered to his office and normally receives it on a Friday afternoon.
Have a look at some of the inserts in the magazine in the newsagent as they sometimes have subscriptions cheaper than what you will get directly from their website.

Thanks - had hoped it would be delivered on Friday. May give it a three month trial and see how it pans out.

I used to subscribe and always got it on Monday, which as Machiavelli pointed out is a bit annoying as it is published on a Wednesday I think, so it's pretty out of date by the time you get it. The only other problem I found with it was trying to find the time to read all of the excellent articles in it.

I subscribed in Dec and at the start they used to be delivered on a monday but then they changed to saturday delivary so a bloke in a car drops it off every saturday, usually morning time (i'm in dublin 7).
I do notice the sometimes it dosen't arrive until the monday, maybe delivary man goes away the odd weekend ;)

That's interesting mro. I'm out in north county Dublin, so I wonder is this something they only do in city centre or whether I could also get it on a Saturday (as the weekend is the time I'll most likely read it)

I'm not sure, but i'd guess you would also get it on a saturday as we got a letter from them saying there were changing there delivary day to a saturday and the next thing we noticed that it was being delivered by hand.
You could ask them but they are very slow to reply

It is much better getting in at the start of the weekend, as others pointed out it is nearly old news on monday! The other handy thing is you get an online subscription and you can download an audio version and listen on an MP3 player....great if you commute

I live in north County Dublin. Subscribed to this magazine for about five years now. Always delivered on a Monday unless a long weekend when it is generally delivered on the Saturday. These delivery days are fine for me. Trial subscription might be the best.

The other handy thing is you get an online subscription and you can download an audio version and listen on an MP3 player....great if you commute

I noticed this on their website. Is the audio version basically someone reading out each article?

I get mine on a Monday in Co. Clare. Reading it for 2 years now and would find it hard to stop - has great coverage of business, politics etc.

The only downside with the weekly edition is that it cuts down on all other reading that I want to do - I used read a book a month, now I'm lucky to finish 2 a year!

Xmas pressie for hubby last year - arrives in Wexford on Monday - he thoroughly enjoys it - specially as he's retired and looks forward to the indepth articles on regional, national and international events. Also sometimes great historical articles. Very worth the investment, much better than spending €2 per day on Irish Times (that's average €12 per week, times 52 = a good holiday!). Reading online not the same as holding the magazine in bed and turning the pages - very comforting! Go for it.

Peckham,
I noticed the following link from the ft website today:
[broken link removed]
This will get you a 12 week subscription for €24 with a 1 gig memory stick.

Thanks .... but I ordered my subscription on Friday paying €36 for 12 weeks. Unlucky I guess!

Back