Sub-Floor Insulation

S

smythee

Hi all,

I'm currently sale agreed on a house in suburban Dublin, built 1960/1970s. Whether we close the sale or not depends on how much the refurbishment of the house will cost us.

I had a look around with the builder the other day and he came up with two costly items which I had not considered.

The first is that he is suggesting replacing the ground floor, which has a void under the floorboards with hardcore, insulation and concrete slab. Quite expensive stuff and I hadnt factored it in before.

The second is insulation of the external walls on the inside. Not as expensive but still not factored in.

Anyone have experience of having to do the same works? Are there alternatives available, particularly to the sub-floor works, that would be cheaper but do the same job? I know there are grants available for wall insulation but dont think there is anything for sub-floor?

All advice welcome.

Yes thanks Jazz think, that pretty much answers my question. Only think now is whether there might be a grant available for the works or not but I will research online for that.

insulation of the external walls on the inside. Not as expensive but still not factored in.
carefully consider the implications of going with internal insulation (im presuming this is a single external wall leaf (breeze block/cavity block, not 'cavity wall' - as your intending to purchase why not look into the extra cost of external wall insulation as the internal drylinign will

1. reduce your floor area,
  2. prove difficult to fix to,
  3. not be continuous due to stairs/kitchen/floors/walls meeting the external walls
  4. and then there's the risk of interstitial condensation.

Thanks for the advice. The external wall is pebble dashed finish. Would this matter when considering external wall insulation. Also your right about the external wall. It is a single cavity block wall rather than a cavity wall

Thanks for the advice. The external wall is pebble dashed finish. Would this matter when considering external wall insulation. Also your right about the external wall. It is a single cavity block wall rather than a cavity wall
then I would suggest you consider external wall insulation if this is typical semi-d you probably looking at approx 8 - 12g, you could possibly save on some of this cost (to balance with the dryline cost) by retaining the existing internal floors and insulating and adding a membrane (as I suggest on the other tread mentioned above) instead of leaving the builders in with barrows of cement. this way internally you have no wet trades.

Breaking_the_Mould -_cavity block drylining