Sub 12 month broadband contract?

T

TRS30

HI

Anyone know if you can get broadband with out having to sign up for 12 months. Am moving and don't know if I will be in the new place for 12 months. I know Irish broadband do but can't get them in my area.

Any suggestions ?

Title edited by ClubMan.

Re: Broadband Contract

As far as I know the only way is to (a) avail of one or more of the free short term trial periods (I've heard anecdotal reports of it being possible to do them all starting with eircom but don't know the sequence after that) or (b) haggle to see if they'll allow you to take a shorter than 12 months contract.

Thanks yet again Clubman.

Was talking to Eircom just there and the guy was very rude for a CS rep !! Say no way less than 12 month contract..... " not a chance" (is a very unfriendly tone)

Would like to use wireless if possibrl who best/ cheapest for that ?

Would like to use wireless if possibrl who best/ cheapest for that ?

Most likely who may well be the only (affordable) option for wireless broadband in many cases. and, to be honest, I'd be slow to recommend them. Check the links that I posted for information about other broadband options.

Clubmam

Would like to go with whoever is offering free installation and then the cheapest monthly i.e Eircom offering free installation, 2 free months and then 40 a month.

Anyone offering better than that ? Prob only be connected for 1 year maybe 18 months.

The IrelandOffline link mentioned in the topic linked above summarises the installation and monthly charges for a number of broadband packages including most or all of the ADSL offerings. charge €99 installation for RipWave (very mixed reports about that and an IBB rep told me recently that they regret ever launching it!) and €149 for Breeze. [broken link removed] cable broadband has no installation charge.

Neither Irish Broadband or NTL avialable in my area

Might have to go with Eircom !!!!!

But ... even though eircom waive the installation charge it seems to me that UTV is better value:

eircom

• 2 month free trial
  • No installation charge
  • 12 months @ €39.99 = €479.88
  • Total cost: €479.88 for 14 months
  • Average cost per month: €34.28
UTV
  • 3 month free trial
  • 4th month (1st of 12 month contract) also free
  • Installation charge = €99
  • 11 months @ €29.99 = €329.89
  • Total cost: €428.89 for 15 months
  • Average cost per month: €28.59
Update: my calculations were slightly wrong for UTV but the overall results is more or less the same. I've corrected the mistakes (I was calculating 3 free months, 1 free contract month and 12 paid contract months - the latter should have been 11 paid contract months).

Ah Club you beat me to it !!

Am on the phone to UTV as we speak. However they did say that my line can't take broadband even though Eircam said it could about 30 minutes ago !!!

Signed up with UTV this morning. Said it would take 2 weeks

Not really to up on all this so sorry if this is a stupid question. Can you use 2 PC's on the one line at the same time?. Ie if you have two phone sockets in the house.

If not can you use say a laptop with a normal modum on a line that has broadband ?

2 pcs

Can you use 2 PC's on the one line at the same time?.
If youre talking normal dialup, I cant see how you would use 2 pcs on one dialup phone line at the same time. Unless you networked the 2 of them, at which stage the speed of the line would hardly be worth it Id have said.

If not can you use say a laptop with a normal modum on a line that has broadband ?
If you have broadband then you can use as many pcs as you have connections for in the router thats sending the BB signal round the house.
I hope Im reading the question right tho. If youre saying you only have a standard phone line input on the laptop then you'll have to get either a pcmcia/USB/bluetooth 10/100 adaptor for your laptop to take a line from the broadband router.

Re: 2 pcs

If youre talking normal dialup, I cant see how you would use 2 pcs on one dialup phone line at the same time. Unless you networked the 2 of them, at which stage the speed of the line would hardly be worth it Id have said.

Yes - you can network the two PCs and then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to share the one link but, as mentioned above, it may not be justified. For broadband connection sharing would normally be done via a router.

Thanks guys.

To clarify what i was asking

I want broadband for my PC. My house mate has a work laptop that he uses at home the odd time to check mail. If i get broadband on the house line will he still be able plug in his laptop like before.

Hope this clear.

If i get broadband on the house line will he still be able plug in his laptop like before.

How did he do it before? Plug straight in and dial up from his own laptop/modem? If so then when you get broadband he should be able to plug into the ADSL modem when he wants to use the broadband connection. A better solution might be to add a switch (if the ADSL router does not already have two or more ethernet ports) so that he can plug in without plugging your PC out first, thus allowing you both to share the connection when necessary. Similarly a wireless router (which usually also supports at least a 4 port switch) would do the job if his laptop has wireless. Make sense?

Looking at this BB service, does it imply that voice services are also bundled in with it? I ask because I'm currently with Euphony and dont want to change my voice provider.

Thanks

S.

If you mean UTV Clicksilver then yes - you must take their UTV Talk voice package which gives free off-peak local, national and UK calls. If you mean some other service provider then I think it depends (e.g. esatBT don't insist but offer a discount on their broadbanc charges if you also take their voice service).

At the moment there is a socket in his room that he plugs into and dials up. I will be using my PC in my room. Are at least 4/5 phone points in the house.

As the broadband is always on does it mean that any other phone point cant be used or can only be used with a normal dial up connection ?

As the broadband is always on does it mean that any other phone point cant be used or can only be used with a normal dial up connection ?

Any phone point can be used but whoever is using it will need the ADSL router which sits between the PC and the phone socket. You don't just plug a phone cable into the socket and PC and phone socket as with dial-up. You need the additional hardware that the service provider supplies. A better way to enable access by multiple users might be to install a wireless or wired home network connecting the two PCs and allowing each to access the broadband connection simultaneously.

Note that the broadband is always on but you can switch your ADSL router off any time if you want. I tend not to leave mine on all the time and just switch it on when I need to use it.

Thanks Clubman

Totally showing my ignorance here.........

I have two modems that have used for BB. Can i give one to him to use in his room to use with his laptop?

The thing is he only checks mail once every couple of weeks and works from home once every month so don't want to have to pay money for more equipment.

I have two modems that have used for BB. Can i give one to him to use in his room to use with his laptop?

It might work but I'm not 100% sure. Both routers would need to be configured appropriately for your broadband account and I'm not sure what would happen if both were used at the same time - problems I would guess! Realistically the normal way to do this (i.e. shared access to a single broadband connection) would be to use a single ADSL router in conjunction with a small wired or wireless home network. Anything else might just be more hassle than it's worth. If in doubt check with your telecom/broadband service provider.