Stupid question re setting up your own pension?

J

JosephineSoa

Can I open up a pension on my own or is the only option open to me a PRSA? All the literature I see seems to be to do with companies opening up them for their employees...

You may be able to open a "self directed pension" or a SSAP (Small Self Administered Pension) depending on your circumstances. These allow you a lot more control over how your money is invested. Do a search for previous threads on these options.

Searching Askaboutmoney.com using Google

If you are self-employed, there are two options:

1. Personal Pension
  2. Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA)
If you work for a company, then there is also the option of an Occupational Pension (which may be Self-Administered or simply an Insured Arrangement).

Are self directed pensions and SSAPs some sub-category of some or all of the above?

I'm not self employed I work in a small company which does have one suggested PRSA but always thought having a pension was better...My new year resolution is to sort out my pension/prsa

I thought a PRSA was a fund you built up over time and when you retired you used the value to purchase a pension.

I thought a PRSA was a fund you built up over time
Yes - similar to any other pension.
and when you retired you used the value to purchase a pension.
No - like most or all other pensions you can usually take up to 25% as a tax free lump sum and then either roll some or all of the remainder into another investment (ARF/AMRF) or else buy an annuity which pays an income in retirement.

I think you should start by reading some of the info about pensions on the www.pensionsboard.ie and www.itsyourmoney.ie websites as you seem confused about them.

Are self directed pensions and SSAPs some sub-category of some or all of the above?

A SSAP is merely an occupational scheme that is small (often one member) and self-administered (has its own Trust Deed and Rules independent of any one insurance company).

A self-directed pension is merely a pension in which the individual can choose their own investments - it could be any one of the above types of pension (Occupational/Personal/PRSA).

A SSAP is merely an occupational scheme that is small (often one member) and self-administered (has its own Trust Deed and Rules independent of any one insurance company).

A self-directed pension is merely a pension in which the individual can choose their own investments - it could be any one of the above types of pension (Occupational/Personal/PRSA).
OK - thanks for the explanations.

Back