Stuff to do in Atlanta neck of the woods

OhPinchy

I have a work event on in Atlanta for a few days in mid-July so the girlfriend was thinking of flying over and we could tack on a week’s holiday or thereabouts either before or after the work event. I doubt there’s a whole lot to do in Atlanta but we were thinking of maybe getting a flight from there to somewhere of interest so all ideas are welcome.

Between us we’ve been to most of the West Coast, Maryland, Washington, Chicago, New Jersey, New York and have no real interest in going back to those. That leaves Florida, a tour round the South, New Orleans, Boston, Philadelphia, or a flight to one of the islands around those parts as obvious options.

New Orleans sounds interesting – wonder if it’s back to normal after the hurricane? We’ve been to EuroDisney and liked it though it was in January with no queues and we both agreed we’d hate it with queues so not sure if there’s much else that would bring us to Florida at that time of year?

We’re going to plan a separate 2-week holiday for late July or August so if there’s nothing obviously jumping out at us that would justify the girlfriend getting a trans-atlantic flight to join up with me for only a few days we won’t force the issue and will leave it at that. That said, I’m guessing there’s plenty of interesting stuff to see and do in that neck of the woods that we’re just not aware of so look forward to any suggestions. We’re both 27 by the way.

isn't the Coke Cola museum there?. Also Savannah is supposed to be gorgeous

There's Stone Mountain, CNN is based in Atlanta and do tours, they shoot some shows live from an open studio in the reception area! The likes of will give you lots of ideas.

Florida will be hot and humid that time of year, probably well into the 30's most days with frequent but spectacular thunder showers that arrive and disappear in minutes.
Leo

Good stuff, thanks folks....a couple of interesting things to look into there for sure.

Stone Mountain is really worth the hike since the forest you pass through to get there is fantastic.
There are also lots of cool bars and restaurants in Atlanta.

Been to Savannah, it's beautiful, but a lot more to do in Charleston SC if you go there, it's not far, myself and partner loved it there and about your age, really good bars and social scene, restaurants, tours of the historic houses were really interesting...

Oh, just remembered Lake Lanier. Massive man made lake with hundreds of inlets and islands so you can have your own area to water ski if you're into that kind of thing, if you're not, have a picnic on the beach of your own island, where the water is so warm you could just lie there all day.
Leo