Study Abroad in USA. Should I set up a bank a/c in US or use my AIB debit card?

Sn@kebite

If I am to study in the US for 3.5 months what would be the cheapest/most convenient method of banking?

I have an AIB savings and current account. My current a/c has a VISA debit card.

Should I just use the card in the US like I do in the shops in Ireland or should I set up an a/c in the US. - Or maybe an An Post current a/c which I head someone mentioned to me.

PS - my accounts are not student accounts. Someone told me I should convert them to student accounts, is this easy/beneficial?

Use a Revolut account.

Do not use An Post. They have very high fees.

Do not use AIB. They have high fees too.

Check out Revolut, it will be the most cost effective method of converting Eur to Dollar and spending in the US.

US bank accounts are not free and may require a social security number, I would avoid given you are only going for 3 months.

We have just returned from the US. Do not use your Visa Card as they add charges. Revolut worked in most places but carry some cash in case it is refused. On one occasion my Revolut was declined and the explanation was that swipe payments were disabled even though I had changed nothing. I used my Visa card and was charged a conversion fee of €4.93 .

the explanation was that swipe payments were disabled even though I had changed nothing
They're disabled by default, which I just learned after trying to use mine today to pay for toll charges. You can change via security settings.

Try N26 or Revolut (id open both accounts to be honest, there are limits to the amount of atm withdrawals etc. you can do with either of them). What ever you do, stay away from any of the main irish banks, it'll cost you a fortune

Back