Student rent tax credit

Maximizing feed

I am divorced and i am in the process of claiming the student rent tax credit (ex husband and I paid for our son's student accommodation - Children allowance that i have saved since he is born . I was stupid enough to put the child benefit saving account under both our name). As I am the one transferring the rent, I am claiming it. Could you explain to me how it is going to work as ex husband wants to have EUR 250 back to him now. I won't get a refund of EUR 500 for 2022 (ex thinks I will ). My understanding is that the tax credit for rent relief for 2022 will be carry over for 2023 and it will reduce my tax liability, where I am not sure is ifl I technically get EUR 500 more at the end of the year (I am not from Ireland and tax credit is a mystery to me not sure I understand how tax credit works) - I would appreciate if one of you could explain to me how much I will owe ex husband? Thanks

In simple terms, the €500 credit is worth the following in terms of the increase in the net income that you receive:
  • €500 x 20% = €100 if you're a low rate tax payer
  • €500 x 40% = €200 if you're a high rate tax payer
(I'm ignoring the case of someone paying high rate tax on less than €500 for simplicity).

Ignore - see following posts...

Last edited:

I have two student tenants in my house under licensee agreements. I'm not registered with RTB. Can each of them claim the €500 tax credit ?

Is your husband paying half the rent, albeit through you? My reading of the general guidance is that he could make his own 2022 return and get a separate €500 credit - notwithstanding that it's one child and one tenancy.