Stuck with ptsb - fixed or variable rate?

EFAIRF

Hi there

I have a mortgage with Ptsb and have been on a fixed rate for the past 2 years. My term ends this month and they have offered me a range of 'options' - a fixed rate over 3 years is 2.95% while a 2 year fixed rate is 3.10%. Should I even consider the variable rate of 3.95%? My LTV is still high at about 86%. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Do you have the means to pay off a lump sum to get the LTV to sub 80%? You're probably aware of it already, but it would make a significant difference (I'm in the process of getting FTB with PTSB and I'm stretching myself to get the 20% deposit to get the lower rate).

3.95% is unnecessarily high.

Also - have you looked into the switcher options with other banks?

Do you have the means to pay off a lump sum to get the LTV to sub 80%? You're probably aware of it already, but it would make a significant difference
If staying with PTSB, it makes no difference. The same fixed rates are available to existing customers for all LTVs below 90%.

Hi there

Thanks for the replies. I know the SVR is high but then it always has been with Ptsb. I think I'll sign up with the 2-year fixed rate and then try to switch to another lender/lower rate when my LTV reduces.

Have you checked recent valuations of comparable properties? With a favourable valuation and/or a lump sum payment 80% LTV might be achievable which opens up significantly lower rates.

With a favourable valuation and/or a lump sum payment 80% LTV might be achievable which opens up significantly lower rates.
Thread title starts "Stuck with PTSB"

LTV is irrelevant in that scenario. Unless I'm missing something?

If the poster can switch banks, even with an LTV > 80%, the savings are significant compared to PTSB. I wouldn't be waiting to get LTV below 80%, as the same rates are available with most lenders, or where it's different it's marginal compared to the overall saving.

Back