structural survey

Haille

Which of the following should one employ[ an architect an engineer or a quantity surveyor] to carry out a structural survey of a 60 year old house.House is in good overall condition I Just need pointers in direction of insulation ,prevention of condensation and dampness.Does anyone have an indication of the cost of an hours survey with any of the above people ?

A good place to start is at the http://www.scs.ie/ASP/searchmembpub.asp but you must be very careful that thay can do what you need and that they have the relavent knowledge and experience. Costs are variable so get a umber of brokendown quotes for comparison

Also with a structural survey it is important to make sure whoever carries it out has the relevant indemnity insurance.

An architect might be able to help depending on his variety of work. A quantity surveyor is a no no. A structural engineer is what you need.

Shop around and get advice/recommendations from friends and colleagues and if that fails flick through the yellow pages and you will find engineers who advertise surveys as being their specialty so to speak.

An experienced architect with indemnity insurance should be
able do to it for you but if he spots anything problematic he'll have to
recommend you get an engineer with indemnity insurance,
it may be better to get the engineer in first. In general an architect
will be able to offer better advice as far as
insulation, prevention of condensation and dampness goes.

an architect or structural engineer will do you but you might also want to investigate hiring a chartered building surveyor who will be able to look at it from an architect's point of view (dampness, insulation, etc.) and also from a structural engineer's point of view (soundness of structure, plumbness of walls, evidence of stress).

i think there is a chartered building surveyors website... www.scs.ie if i remember correctly.

whatever you do, don't hire a quantity surveyor!....they'll just tell you how much it's all going to cost!!! ;)

i used pat mcgovern and assoc - was very happy with them on an 80year old house.

[broken link removed]

i used pat mcgovern and assoc - was very happy with them on an 80year old house.

[broken link removed]

I also used them and they were superb....We got a guy called Andrew from the cavan office and he went into so much detail. Overall was happy with them.

Back