Stripping paint from old wooden door: Cork

I

ijooc

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can somebody to remove the paint from old wooden doors by dropping them in bath of caustic soda / acid? I know that this is possible, but I cann't seem to find anybody that does it.

Thanks,
ijooc

Are there any Reclamation Yards/Architectural Salvage companies near you? They would do this type of work regularly.

This company might be able to help...

Heartwood, 10 Tuckey St., Cork. 021 4251850.
(Formerly Lee Valley Timber & Salvage Co.)

There is also a company based on Victoria Avenue - road between Boreenmanna Rd & Blackrock Rd - think their details are

Good Woods Architectural Salvage,
Rosebank, Old Blackrock Road, Co. Cork. Tel: 021 4318418

Hi Hal_2001, in accordance with the [broken link removed], could you please confirm whether you have any connection with this firm?
Leo

You could however try nitromors (spelling might not be correct). You can buy this in most hardware shops. You could take the door off, bring it outside, put on the nitromors stuff, follow the rest of the directions and bob's your uncle. You end up removing the paint with a scraper. However, you have to be careful applying it as it is strong stuff so you would need proper gloves and safety stuff. It did a great job on a coffee table for me and it may be cheaper than bringing it to a place to get it done!

Hi Leo/All

I'm happy to confirm I have no connection whatsoever with Bruce Perkins.

Back