Strength of the of The Law Society’s (Committees) Opinion on Legal Matters

One

I read the follow extract from The Law Society Conveyancing Manual 2006, and I regard what they are saying as being their opinion on the law.

It states in Chapter 5 Part 5.9 on Estate Services “The Committee feels therefore that there is no necessity for practitioners to inquire into the length of the bond or adequacy of a bond or other security when acting for a subsequent purchaser of a new house on a housing estate. It is sufficient for the first purchaser of a new house to assume that all of the financial conditions contained in the planning have been complied with at the date of completion of purchase”.

Question 1: Is this regarded as the law in this area, or must it be ruled upon in court first?

Question 2: Usually, would the opinion of The Committee be persuasive to the judge who would be ruling upon such a matter? Is it highly likely that the judge would agree with The Committee?

I don't think you have accurately quoted the relevant passage. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. No this is not the law.

2. Yes an opinion of a Law Society Committee would be highly relevant to a judge: not in answering the question "what is the law?" but in answering the question "what is the duty of care required of a solicitor in a given situation?".