Street Lighting

billy-bob

There's been a street lamp out on my street since around Xmas. I wouldn't normally care, but the lamp is right outside my house, you could even say that it's within the bounds of my property, so I wonder if it's my responsibility to tell somebody. I'd hate that the neighbours are all sitting there thinking "why doesn't your man at no.10 get that fixed".

If it is my responsibility, who would I be calling? The Co.Council? I live just outside Cork, so I don't know who's jurisdiction I'm in, how would I find that out? Or is it probably already known by somebody in command and they're just waiting for the bulbs to arrive from Madagascar?

If the estate is not privately managed then contact your local authority. If it is then contact your management company/agent. If you don't know then call your local authority and ask. You should know if it is privately managed though since you would then be paying annual management charges.

ClubMan, it's not a privately managed estate, so what do you mean by "local authority"? Is that the local Co Council in my area?

Whoever your local authority is - e.g. local Urban District/Town Council or County Council. If you don't know then ask at your local library.

I had this issue with a light outside my house last year. I phoned the ESB and gave them a number that is on the pole and they came out and fixed it. It did take two phone calls but after the second one they were out in a day or two.

I did find that list of councillors but I doubt any of them would care that the street light outside my house is gone. I might give ESB a shout this evening after I get home, thanks ted

I did find that list of councillors but I doubt any of them would care that the street light outside my house is gone.
Well you never know until you actually try contacting them.
I might give ESB a shout this evening after I get home, thanks ted
I thought it was the LA that dealt with this issue but perhaps it is actually the ESB.

Your local councillor woud be happy to help you out. After all he/she may need your help when the forthcoming elections take place and he/she may well be chasing a seat.;) No too long ago some people used to ring their TDs to have such problems sorted, but since TDs are no longer councillors these problems are now handled by councillors. Clubman is right about the LA etc. - but then perhaps this only applies to Dublin City council, where the Road Traffic Section looks after public lighting. But as it's not a matter of who is right or wrong if the ESB sorts you out quicker well why not go for it. May your future be bright!!!

Back