Streaming???

karsha

Hi, I have just purchased a new laptop and really want to make the most out of it (I previously would always have used a desktop and would have just used it for basic work related needs) When I was researching what laptop to purchase I was impressed by the idea of using it as a 'multi media' vehicle. As a complete novice in this area can someone please offer advice on streaming ( think this is phrase!!) tv and movies?
In particular,
  • suggestions on which websites to look at to get info? At the moment I would be interested in various US tv series that may not be viewed here yet,Family movies and Sports events
  • which downloads are necessary,recommended and safe to use
  • Is it legal?

Streaming usually refers to the process of watching TV/movie/video clip etc online in your web browser. The programme may be a live stream e.g. watching a football match online, or pre-recorded e.g. watching a movie online or listening to an internet radio station.
Usually there is no specific download required, since its viewed in the browser. Examples of streaming sites are RTE player (used for watching various programmes screened on RTE in the last couple of weeks, BBC iPlayer (similar to RTE player, but not sure if that works in Ireland), MyP2p.eu (very handy for watching most sporing events), YouTube etc.
Yes its legal. Be aware that streaming video is quite heavy on bandwidth so you should be mindful of your BB monthly download limit. If using mobile BB then the speed may not be fast enough to stream the media and you may need to wait for it to buffer it before watching - fine if watching a rerun of Fair City, not so good if you want to watch a match in real time

Thanks for that, I posted this on another site aswell and quicksilverscreen.com and megavideo were mentioned - have you ever heard of these sites? btjunkie was also mentioned to me to use. I am just nervous of getting a virus this early on so want to check before clicking! Thanks again for the info

I would think you would be safe enough if your just streaming.
I thought BT junki is a Bit Torrent search engine that uses spiders etc to search the web for torrents,in my opinion using torrent websites etc to download films/tv programmes is going to be more high risk.
Using the likes of Youtube and other flash based streaming sites incomparison is going to be a lot safer.

Yeah BTJunkie is nothing to do with streaming, it find torrent files to pysically download films to your PC. Again, streaming is watching stuff in the browser.

quicksilverscreen is a streaming media website alright, I have no idea of the quality/content though, never heard of it before

Back