Strawberries in January

Ron Burgundy

Hi,

I'm getting married in Jan and one of my fiancees favourite foods are chocolate covered strawberries. So with that in mind i want them to be on every table. Now i know its the middle of winter but i'd love to do this. I'd need big ones so i can get a nice bit of chocolate on them........

You can get strawberries year round these days but you pay a price, financially and in flavour. Winter strawberries here are imported and IMO don't taste of strawberries as we know them, they can be very watery.

Your best bet is to talk to the chef in your hotel, they may be able to source "good" strawberries. Worth a try.

i use allfresh they have them all year round,there in little island in cork 021/4510526,but idont know where your based.i suggest you do the chocolate coating your self,go to your local baker and ask if he can get you chocolate coverture,its the best,and it can be done a day or two in advance.

Agree that winter strawberries are not half as nice as July ones

Are you planning to coat them yourself ? You will need to practice this a bit. Normally they say to dip them in chocolate and then put them on greaseproof paper but I find when you lift the strawberries the choclate has not coated evenly. This would not look as good on wedding tables. What I do is stick a cocktail stick in the strawberry, dip it in the chocolate and then stick the other end of the cocktail stick into a banana. This way the chocolate sets evenly and looks more impressive....if you are doing 100+ strawberries you might have to come up with something other than a banana.

You need King Berries for the best strawberries. They have them in superquinn. Perhaps you could ask if they could source them for you....

Best of luck, its a lovely idea and everyone loves chocolate dipped strawberries