Strange Noise/Vibration in New House

thespecialon

Recently moved into new build. Once or twice a day dosent seem to happen at same time there is a loud vibrating noise from wat appears to be behind the wall of main bathroom upstairs.The floor of the bathroom also vibrates.Lasts for a couple of mins. Bathrom is over where room for hot tank/immersion is. Happened first when turned on central heating for upstairs.I am guessing this is a plumbing problem?Anyone any ideas what this is?I cant replicate the problem seems to happen randomly now

Is it a good or a bad vibration?

Could there be a pump or something like (e.g. for pumping water up or out) that which is kicking in from time to time? Could it be next door? Have you asked the builders (if still accessible) to explain?

I noticed a vibrating noise every so often in my mother's house a while back. Couldn't figure out what it was. Eventually turned out to be the next door neighbour's stair/chair lift!

water hammer? WHat does this mean for me?

It seems like a bad vibration to me - fairly loud + strong.Detached house so cant be neightbours.I assume there is some sort of pump as its a 2 story so to get water to first floor would need to be pumped?

Everything is plastered up so no easy access!!

it mite not be pumped upstairs ,, depends on the flow of the water and the power etc. google water hammer and you will find out about it, it could also be an air lock as cerbera says. i have a similar noise in my new house, went up to attic and found it was the pipe going into the water tank was vibrating mad. put a piece of timber around the neck of it and total peace since

Sounds like a pump problem to me if it happened when you turned on the central heating... If it's a new build get the plumber to come back and have a look at it

Well it happened first when I turned on the heating..but since has happened when heating is not on- does this rule out pump prolem?

So I am left with it being either an airlock or water hammer??
Will get onto plumber today see what he can do

What are you using to heat your water... your pump will have to go then too unless you are using the immersion heater. Either way get the plumber in!