Strange Noise coming from car.

hacker

Wonder if anyone could help, at times there is a strange noise coming from the front of my car. Only way I can describe it is a howling noise, can detect no pattern as to when it happens ie sometimes driving a 100km straight road, sometimes on backroad and once even when stopped. Drove between yesterday and today approx 60 miles and nothing but I am sure it will be back. Been trying to get it to a gargage but everyone too busy this week. Only thing I can think of is a hit a really bad pot hole a week before xmas, checked tyres and they are OK. Anyone any ideas?
Hacker

Howling noises as opposed to grinding noises suggest movement of air through an aperture, the fact that it occurred when stopped (presume that engine was off) suggests the fan as it normally stays on to cool engine after car switched off.

Sorry, the engine was running, had just pulled in, should have been more specific.
Thanks for your reply

No unfortunately not, it is a very humble fiat punto 1.2. Could the problem be the engine mounting ( not sure if this is correct term, but if the rubber there was worn out, would it make a noise).
Thanks
Hacker

Am going on your description of "howling" - like a wolf does. Best advice, espcially if you suspect an engine mounting is worn is to take your car to a qualified mechanic and get it checked out - at the end of the day if something isn't right you're going to have to do that anyway!

full moon is gone since yesterday for a few weeks so maybe it will return then....

I'd go with wheel bearing too

Finally got a machanic who said he'll have a look at it next week, just bit nervous bout doing even more damage, thought it might be a bearing at first but the noise goes away for days. Never thought of the full moon, ha ha!

Thanks
Hacker

The noise was the radiator fan, which I have had replaced and all is good again.
Thanks all
Hacker

Lol interesting that my first response was the correct one -- I should have gone with my gut