stradle between wooden floor and tiles

Ned_ie

Hi all

In our kitchen we have tiles dn in the dining room a wooden floor. At the moment there is noting covering the joint but I would like to put something there. My problem is that the wooden floor is a couple of mm's above the tiles. Is there anything I can use to cover this gap?

Thanks

Hi Ned
What type of floor is it?, your measurements sound like its a laminate floor. How long is the strip, how wide is it? There are a couple of alternatives but more gen. would be helpfull.

The wooden floor is wooden semi solid not laminate. There is an arch from the kitchen into the dining about 6ft in width. It is along here that I need to cover the tile and floor joint. I also need to do the same at the kitch door to hall joint.

I presume you want to create as smooth a transition as possible. I know nothing about semi-solid flooring as all my installs are solid. If the semi-solid is stable and does not require an allowance for movement/expansion. Others here would know better that I do. A strip of timber inserted between the two might be an alternative. A slight flush bevel on the top to accomodatide the level diference would create a good transition. Depending on the width of the gap this insert could be turned into a feature. Eg.light tiles with light floors; you could use a strip with a very dark stain. The trick here is to not try and hide the repair, but to make it seem as it was done on purpose to create an effect. If you have any stainless accents in either room a stainless laminate would also look very nice.If a close tolerance insert is practical as regards the wood flooring you have this would be an easy install. Cut, plane and Stixall the piece into place. Treat, color and seal and its all done. Hope this helps.

Back