Stove not doing its job

Tomjim

Have a stove in the living room. It is in a brick type surround (maybe a chimney breast not sure of what the correct name is). Basically the living area is not that warm. Thinking of moving stove out into the middle of the room where the heat should be able to circulate better throughout the room, it appears that a lot of the heat is being captured in the brick type surround and is not able to circulate properly throughout the room.

Would it be of any benefit to move the stove out from the brick surround.

have the range built in also and at time was advised by b-layer not to go down this route as stopping heat circulating. We did, plenty of heat.

Anyway our stove fitted into regular fireplace but have family with stoves built in, all happily roasting.

Is the stove the right size for the size of the room and also Iv seen people burning one sod at a time and wondering why no heat!!!

Hi tomjim

I had the same problem with my stove,ended up buying an eco fan.it sits on top of the stove behind the flue pipe and pushes the warm air into the room think it cost about 100 EURO.

As a general rule I would say a stove needs 6 inches either side and above the stove to allow air to circulate around the stove and bring the heat into the room. the only exeption to this is an insert stove which is designed to be recessed into a fireplace opening.

The other factor is the size of the stove relative to the room as mentioned and the fuel being burned. Check your room size and output of your stove.