Stove in an Insulated House(enough oxengen)

Johnny Boy

I have gone above and beyond the call of duty(my opinion)on the insulation in my new build . I have used cavity insulation and insulated boards 38mm on all the outer walls and ceilings. I hope that when finished it will be as airtight as possible. I am also hoping to install an solid fuel stove and use turf from time to time. I would love to have a stove but will it be dangerous or would it cause co2 poisoning? Any thoughts or expierence would be appreciated before I will invest in a stove. The area of the house is 210sqm

Sounds like you'll need proper ventilation, check this out;
[broken link removed]

It should pay for itself by saving heat.

Hi Johnny,

I have installed my stove a few weeks ago and is working well with a HRV (heat recovery ventiliation) system. I have a high level of insulation and airtightness in the build and got a b1 rating in the BER scale. There are no vents in windows or walls so house is vented using HRV. The stove is a 6KW stovax without a back boiler.

Lastbuilders

Hi Lastbuiders This concept is new to me and it does sound like an ideal solution to my search for the holy grail of heating. My next question is, is it heavy on electricty?

It does not have a balanced flue as it is multifuel. I think you normally only need a balanced flue if it is a gas stove.

I am going to put a reader on it in the next few months to see how hard it is on esb but it is supposed to be quite efficient. It also has low, normal and boost settings that can be adjusted depending on the requirements

Lastbuilders

AFAIK, any open combustion appliance (i.e. not balanced flue), has to have a permanent, open, vent in the room. Because your RVR system has firecheck valves on the pipework, (which close in an emergency), I don't believe your mech vent system meets the requirements for an open appliance. I'm not sure, I'm only surmising........

I think you need to something from your engineer, the appliance manufacturer and RVR on this. There could be an insurance liability issue if you ever had a problem, otherwise.......then is not the time to find out.

hi
i had a 2 storey extension built onto my house last year,the builder neglected to put any form of ventilation in this extension.i have a wood burning stove in this extension but when it heats up the house becomes unbearably stuffy,so i would definitely recommend fitting carbon monoxide dectectors for your own safety!why do we have building regulations when nobody with any authority polices it?

Back