stove cleaning

manukev

i am wondering if anyone out there has problems with the glass in the door of the stove going black.i have a solid fuel stove and every morning the door needs to be cleaned i have to use a scraper which i'm sure is not advisable but the discolouring is pretty stubborn.household cleaners will not work without the scraper.any advice.thanks

manukev ,

What fuel are you burning ? what make / model are you using . Dirt + Deposits on the glass of a stove are directly from lower value fuels ( lower calorific values ) .The lower the value the more water content and more tar residue left on the glass.

ie. peat (lowest value ), wood , coal , anthracite ( highest calorific value fuel for a solid fuel stove ) .

I have a stanley erin and after a week of burning peat or wood only sometimes do I have to clean the inside of the glass with a slightly damp rag as always have the airwash open to keep the glass clear when burning non smokeless fuel.

Softwood timber is terrible for blackening the door. I assume you have an airwash system on the stove, are you using this correctly, it helps a little.

Hardwoods and coal will burn off this tar/soot deposit.

Trying to clean the door is extremely difficult, I gave up in the end.

A lot of older stoves don't self clean. Since about 1985 most have an air flow system which burns off the deposits in use. If you are constantly running the stove with little air (to stop it taking off in the gales we've been having recently) that might also cause the problem.

I'm too lazy to scrape off deposits, I just open up the air vent with some wood in and burn it off (but I have a very big chimney and I clean it! not to be recommended if you are not sure about the state of your chimney)

Imogen

Mine has a self cleaning door as described above, but sometimes I give it a clean with a brillo pad if I don't intend lighting it again for a while.

jambo1979;
the stove is the small nestor martin one.i was burning turf and changed to peat briquettes as i thought the turf might be damp causing the staining.briquettes seem to be better but still staining.i do open the damper fully but in recent weeks with the wind the draw seems too much.will try coal/timber see if it makes a difference.thanks

Back