Storm at the weekend & Ryanair landing in Shannon

JimmyB99

Just wondering - my Ryanair flight which was due to land in Dublin was redirected to Shannon. Upon arrival in Clare, there was very poor Ryanair management of the scenario and everyone was left to fend for themselves. I ended up having to wait hours to get a seat on a bus back to Dublin and am just wondering whether the bus ticket and meal in Shannon are reimbursable.

Maybe the bus ticket, anything else is unlikely. Ryanair will blame the weather hence out of their control, which means no compensation.

Duty of care to get you to your destination, so bus ticket, meal should all be covered. Getting a refund on what you were entitled to is something that Ryanair are quite good at.

You won't get EU/UK261 compensation though.

I ended up having to wait hours to get a seat on a bus back to Dublin and am just wondering whether the bus ticket and meal in Shannon are reimbursable.
It is behind a paywall but here’s what Ryanair says about a similar event on Sunday in yesterday’s Irish Times.

In response to queries a Ryanair spokeswoman said that it apologised “sincerely to all passengers for these delays and diversions, which were caused by tropical Storm Ashley and our obligation to prioritise passenger and aircraft safety”.

Referencing the Faro to Dublin flight that was diverted to the UK, she said “passengers were provided with snacks and refreshments for sale from the in-flight bar service, Passengers were not entitled to free food or drinks on-board and nor are they entitled to ‘compensation’ when these delays and diversions were caused by a tropical storm, which was clearly beyond Ryanair’s control”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/...ring-storm-ashley-not-entitled-to-free-water/

Unless things have changed, I would have assumed the airline would have had to put on a bus/transport to get everyone from Shannon to Dublin, which was the destination, regardless of the redirect because of weather. This has happened me many times over the years, because of fog or other issues at airports, regional ones especially. There was always a bus laid on to take everyone back to where you should have landed
That other Faro-Dublin flight was different, it landed eventually in Dublin, so the airline wouldn't have to reimburse anyone who decided to get off the flight in the UK.

Also, remember that loads of flights landed at Shannon so the chaos that ensued inside after that is not solely down to Ryanair. I landed at Shannon 10 years ago because of a storm and we managed to hire a car to get us back to Dublin. Didn't bother trying any claim as it was just bad luck/timing. I would suggest you don't bother and get on with it. I guess if you paid 000's or had to pay 00's to sort it out, it would be a different matter.

It would be normal for the airline to organise a bus to transfer passengers to their final destination. But getting a bus and driver on Sunday when there were multiple other planes diverted would have taken several hours to organise.

Most savvy passengers organise for 4 to take a taxi together on the plane and rush to the rank to secure one before everyone else is off the plane. (Or probably book it on an app while landing). That way they are back in Dublin while everyone else is waiting for a bus to show up.

Back