Storing timber flooring

ennisjim

Hi, Can anyone tell me when it is OK to store timber flooring for aclimatisation purposes in an unoccupied house. The flooring and plastering was done last summer and there was good drying during autumn. House got a bit damp from autumn on and heating only went on a couple of weeks ago (underfloor throughout) but I am only keeping temp at about 13 or 14 for now. I would like to buy timber flooring (semi-solid) in the sales and store it for a few months. Assuming it is OK to store what precautions would I need to take ? Remove wrapping, lay flat, put weights on, etc ?
Thanks
James

I think it should be ok, make sure you get pieces (same thickness to avoid warping) of timber to insert between a few rows every now and then to assist drying.

Also, if underfloor heating is on you may need to place a few pieces if timber on the floor to keep the boards off the direct heat.

Sounds as if it would be best to discuss this with your supplier. Considering the costs IMHO it would be best not to assume anything about the storage. Could they store it for you.

ennisjim,

From what I can recall when I was installing some semi-solid oak flooring in my own home, it may be recommended that you do not remove the wrapping during the acclimatisation period - read the packaging when your flooring arrives. I would have also thought that you should be acclimatising the flooring in the conditions likely to prevail when the house is inhabited and in normal day to day use.

teddyk