storing logs in garden

Gordanus

Hi I've been considering buying a wood-burning stove but storage is a problem due to tiny back garden. Has anyone bought a storage contraption for logs? Where? How much? I'm told it needs to allow wind through but keep rain off. It should be lockable too. And big enough to contain *more* than a cubic metre of logs, seeing I expect I'll still have some left when I buy the next lot.

I've been trying to google something like that, but can't come up with the right combination of words :-(
Would be grateful for any ideas.

googled wood store but any results are v expensive
try getting your hands on some pallets--shouldnt be too difficult to do a DIY job

Thanks, WindUp, tried googling Wood Store but usual irrelevant results - could not find any ready-made ones at all. Edit: Found one! [broken link removed] Bl**dy expensive! And they don't seem to know about the driving rain which falls horizontally. Anyway, I think I'd feel safer with a lockable door on it.

I guess getting a handyman to make one for me would be equally expensive? I've neither time nor tools to make one myself.

Last edited:
Build one out of pallets and throw a tarp over the top. All you need is 3 pallets, 1 for the bottom and 1 for each side. This guy has a larger set up.

[broken link removed]

I have my wood stored in one of these....

I got it in homebase for half price in Spring. Works for me and have it stored at the side of the house just outside the utility room door for when it's raining!

Aesthetics become more important for everything in a smaller property, not less.

You could do something very clever with pallets, stripping and refitting the planks on one side to be opposite the gapes on the other so as to provide a baffle to wind-borne rain.

Something clever in time for the roof and an overhang would complete teh look fo teh thing - needs to be raised off the ground to avoid groundwater and the slab should be laid to a fall out from the centre point.

Could make an interesting small design project for some lucky architect. :)

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

If you're handy, you could build a small structure in the style of a garden shed. The likes of Woodworkers sell the shiplap boards. Use ply to form a sloping roof with some mineral felt on that. You could then paint/treat it to fit in with the rest of the garden.
Leo

Back