Storage heaters

J

jlawrence

Can anyone tell me when the red light indicator on storage heaters should come on at night.
I am under the impression it should pop on at 11pm in winter to indicate it is charging up.
In my case, it only comes on-with heat-at 2 or 3am. Is this a fault or is it related to outside temperature?
Any help would be appreciated....

Hi

This is related to the temperature. Mine usually come on between 1-3ish and then when it's much colder it kicks in earlier.

If you don't feel that they're taking in enough heat overnight in your fuse box there is a small knob with -4, -2, 0, 2, 4 if you turn this to -2 you'll hear it clicking in earlier.

jlawrence said:
Can anyone tell me when the red light indicator on storage heaters should come on at night.
I think it depends on the make and model. Our Unidare heaters have a red light switch which control the convection part of the heater which is separate from the storage heater part. Maybe you can post make and model details and/or check the web for instruction manuals?

smree - are you sure about there being some sort of calibration/timing control in the fuse box? We don't seem to have one. Or do you mean in the (night) meter box?

Clubman - I've got one in my fusebox. There's a control for both day and night but in the manual I got the day control is more for testing purposes wheras you can modify the night to start taking in heat earlier (-2, -4) or later (+2, +4). Beside both these controls is where the red light comes on to indicate that it has started to take in heat you can also hear a load clicking noise when the red light comes on.

I wonder if mine is different to yours because I'm in an apartment and my night & day meter boxes are in the basement.

The model of my heaters are Creda.

If you have a seperate storage heating ESB meter check if disc is spinning
after 11 pm. this will indicate if heaters are charging. If you have a dual
day and night rate meter it should switch to night on its indicator at approx
11pm. and the disc should spin a lot faster if your heaters are charging.

smree said:
Clubman - I've got one in my fusebox. There's a control for both day and night but in the manual I got the day control is more for testing purposes wheras you can modify the night to start taking in heat earlier (-2, -4) or later (+2, +4). Beside both these controls is where the red light comes on to indicate that it has started to take in heat you can also hear a load clicking noise when the red light comes on.

I wonder if mine is different to yours because I'm in an apartment and my night & day meter boxes are in the basement.

The model of my heaters are Creda.
Maybe - I'm in a house and just have the day and night meters in the outside meter box. I haven't checked the night meter in ages so can't remember if there are any controls. I do know that our heaters start charging up at the start of the night rate period (23:00 Winter, 00:00
Summer I think) and stop at the end of the night rate period (08:00 Winter, 09:00 Summer) although we never have them on in Summer. I don't think that we have any control over this without the addition of further (e.g. timer) controls.

Thanks very much to all for replying. I am caught between the contractor, Creda and the ESB, all of whom tell different stories.
Creda charge €100 for a callout to those with heaters over 12 months old, so it's worth get free info.

Back