Storage Cards for Canon Digital SLR Camera

Kevin

I'm going to buy the Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR 8 Mega Pixel Camera and am a bit confused about all the storage media. The storage size is fine... I'll probably go for 1MB card and can always buy another if needed. I have the following questions however?

1. Is there any difference in manufacturer? e.g. Dane, Sandisk, Lexar?
2. What does Type I and Type II mean and 'Flash'? Is this a measure of speed the camera writes to the card?
3. What's the difference between Sandisks 'Ultra II Compact Flash Memory' and 'Extreme III Compact Flash Memory', etc...

If someone can help with the jargon that would be great!

The only difference between CF Type I and Type II cards is the card thickness, and the 350D takes either — see [broken link removed]. I presume you mean a 1GB card? ;)

www.7dayshop.com are usually pretty good value for storage media and other photographic supplies.

This link shows test speeds of various cards with the 350D.
I think the write speed of the slowest cards would be noticable, especially with large files.

I recently purchased the Sandisk 1 GB extreme 3 from Technikdirekt.de for 67 euro. (I was purchasing a camera for a friend and piggybacked the card onto the order) There is a 22 euro delivery charge so you would really need to have a big order.
http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/speichermedien/cf/705192/-/Article.html?viewmode=box

Did a bit of travelling last year and had a 1GB card. Loads of capacity BUT it's next to impossible to find a place to burn onto a CD as that amount of data will span two cds. Most photo shops don't have the ability to burn across disks.

Ended up buying an IPOD with a camera attachment!

C2H5OH said:
This link shows test speeds of various cards with the 350D.
I think the write speed of the slowest cards would be noticable, especially with large files.

I recently purchased the Sandisk 1 GB extreme 3 from Technikdirekt.de for 67 euro. (I was purchasing a camera for a friend and piggybacked the card onto the order) There is a 22 euro delivery charge so you would really need to have a big order.
http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/speichermedien/cf/705192/-/Article.html?viewmode=box

If you aren't at home when Technikdirekt's courier deliver what happens?
Can you redirect the delivery location? Seems you can't do this when the order is placed online...shipping address must match that of credit card etc.

I have found [broken link removed] excellent to deal with on many occasions

Here's a link for a 1gb card for €54 yo yo's [broken link removed]

Despite resellers claims there are only a small amount of worldwide manufacturers rebadged multiple times with multiple brand names. Despite the inflated speed claims between cards the real world differences are exceptionally tiny and may only really be measured when you are shooting multiple frames in burst mode.

In day to day use tere is virtually zero difference in performance.

N Solo

Back