Stopping credit card payment for a purchase in a non-EU state

L_earner

My wife and I used a visa credit card to pay for a holiday within a holiday in Thailand. It was substantially not as described and we got no satisfaction from the travel agency there when we complained. We phoned AIB to ask them to cancel the payment, but they said we had insufficient grounds. In desperation we googled the Thai travel agency (based in Bangkok) as we suspected that it was not the first time they had tricked someone into paying high prices for very low quality holidays. There was one negative comment on one site, and the other ten hits yielded nothing.
When I got home I googled the travel agency and there were hundreds of hits going back years, telling stories about the same company, cleverly identifying and setting up marks like us, and using a confidence trick getting us to agree to part with substantial sums of money.
Is it worth going back to AIB with this new knowledge?

I think it probably is.

if it's a clear fraud, then they should not have a merchant's license.

Bad value or shoddy service is probably not enough for a refund though.

But if you claim it, AIB may dispute it with the merchant. Even if you don't get a refund, if plenty of people dispute stuff with the company, they might have their merchant account withdrawn.

Brendan

One note on a website isn't really much to go on tbh. Thousands of customers may be quite happy with what they got.

You paid for a service, which you got. It might not have been all you hoped, but the service was provided. You can certainly ask AIB to look at it again, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Even if they initiated the chargeback, I'd say the chances of it being successful are slim.

I think it may be a case of move on with a lesson learned.

Back