Stopover in Singapore

redchariot

I am heading off to Vietnam for a couple of weeks and as I was flying with Singapore Airlines, I opted for a stopover in Singapore for 3 days on the way back.

Does anybody know if Irish citizens require a visa for Singapore?

Secondly, does anybody have any recommendations for hotels.

Last of all, what do you recommend that is a "must do" in the city.

I know, I know; why did I book a few days without any research first; just that the airline offered me the stopover at no extra cost and I had the time to do it so I said "Sod it, I may never get the chance again" so it was a bit of a spur of the moment decision.

A Singapore Sling cocktail in Raffles hotel and have a look around their museum.

Also visit Sentosa Island.

From what I recall I did not have to get a visa but its been a few yrs.

No Visa required for Singapore

Singapore is probably a decent place to live and a good place to do business but to be honest as a tourist I found it pretty dull .. Not that many things to see/do .. it's a very neat and orderly place where things work well .. and that's great if you live/work there I'm sure .. but as a tourist it's not somewhere I'd go back to.

Given the choice of stopover I'd think Bangkok or Hong Kong would be a better choice .. but as you got a deal with Singapore Airlines then why not .. there's decent shopping there and a few things to see/do ... I think the only "must do" is to go and have a Singapore Sling in Raffles Hotel .. I don't think you'd run out of things to see/do in 3 days and if you did you can easily take a day trip across the causeway to Malaysia or take the ferry to Indonesia for a change of scene.

stayed in the hotel miramar, but it was a few years ago. would recommend a day trip to Malaysia, the one we went on visited the palace, a prison, crockadile farm and a quick run through a market.

I, too am heading to Singapore soon. A friend who visits there regularly for business recommended The Fairmont Hotel (formerly Raffles Plaza) or The Shangri - La.

We have booked The Fairmont. It seems to be very centrally located. We are only staying there 2/3 days and then heading to Hong Kong.

Neatest airport we have ever been in anywhere in the world- absolutely spotless. t really puts Heathrow to shame, but then so do most other airports.
Agree with niceoneted about a visit to Sentosa island.

Singapore has one of the most honest popultions in the world. My wife bought some chestnuts from a street vendor and wandered off without waiting for her change so the guy chased after her to make sure she got it.

I'll second Raffles the Plaza for hotel choice (not sure what its called now). Also the hotel next door (sofitel i think) has a bar/restaurand and nightclub on the 90th floor which is worth checking out.
Also Sentosa Island is very good. You can arrange to swim with Dolphins there.

Make sure you visit Sentosa, hopefully they still do the laser light show.
Very nice city, max 2 to 3 days is needed, trip down river is good to get your bearings. Would not bother going to Malsysia if there for short time.
Could eat your dinner off the street, it's that clean, but prepare for serious humidity.
stayed in the Merchant Court, very nice and central, English colonial style with good pool. Great breakfast.

Fullerton hotel is lovely place to stay and right next to Boat Quay and Clarke Quay for night time entertainment, Wednesday night is ladies night in Clarke Quay and it's pretty busy. For things to do, Sentosa isn't bad but pretty basic, Little India and Chinatown are worth a visit in the evening and so is the Night Safari. Taxis are really cheap. You can visit the temples in Little India, I found them fascinating. All the shops are on Orchard road and they stay open till 10pm 7 days a week. Raffles is worth a quick visit if you've got the time. Get a photo at the Merlion behind Fullerton. The Singapore flyer is also around there which is the same as the London Eye and they were working on a new casion but not sure if it's open yet. Duxton Hill or Orchard Towers at night if your male and looking for something different but better if not on your own.

Sentosa, its the Blackpool of Singapore. Botanic gardens are superb. What hotel price range are you looking at per night?

forget about daytrip to Malaysia, it's a waste of a day to see what is basically a very grotty & dirty & unsafe city, sure you'll be seeing all that when you get to Vietnam anyway.

Enjoy Fullerton hotel, Swissotel, the Stamford rooftop bar & Clarke quay. The aircrew of singairlines will give you a card to fill out as you approach Singapore - this is your visa on arrival & there is no charge & no problen for Irish in this regard, unless you are carrying drugs in which case you will be hanged until dead.

Newton circus is good to visit for local foods in the evening but get a menu & agree the prices when ordering - be clear on this!

Enjoy your trip - only kidding Vietnam is really nice!

Enjot Singapore, cleanest city, Fullerton Hotel beautiful and great location, Santosa worth a visit and see the Merloin there and the laser light show. Enjoy people very friendly. browtal

Back