Stop a Door from Slamming

cybermate

A common enough problem I think. If I have an external door open in the house a gust of wind whips into the house and slams an internal door shut. Am quite worried that this will cause an injury to a child - expecting our baby to stary crawling any day

I don't particularly what to put in a door-closer mechanism, especially the rather unsighly box with arm that both close and dampen the closing speed. Nor would I like to rely on keeping one of those child-safety foam pieces on the door - you know the U-shaped pieces that wrap around the door that always prevent the door from closing.

Ideally I would like something permanent that is discreet and will always dampen/restrict the speed at which a door will close. Don't necessarily want such a mechanism to always close the door i.e. no closer functionality just dampening functionality.

Thank you in advance for your kind suggestions.

cybermate.

I was going to suggest one of the foam pieces they sell in toy shops and baby gear shops. If you place it high enough up on the door it shouldn't be at risk of coming off. If you were worried about that maybe use two together? the beauty of them is that you can use them and take them off without leaving any marks on the door.
Maybe you could investigate the easy-close devices they put on kitchen cupboard doors now? that might transfer to a proper door?

There are many different types of door closing mechanisms - not all are the big overhead unslghtly boxes that you seem to refer to, which are mainly for commercial or industrial uses. There are at least a couple of types that are connected to the jamb of the door, and one that is concealed inside it, and you don't need to go to a lot of expense. A lot depends on how the door is positioned, whether it opens back 90 degrees flush against a wall, etc. Any good hardware store should have a few types in stock so have a look around.
Have a look at these and you might find something like what you're looking for and it might help when you do go to a hardware store.
[broken link removed]

We have an 11 month old who's just startted to crawl. You can get these 'baby proofing' kits at Mothercare - they have avarietry of devices to stop drawers being opened, door closing etc. One of the gadgets is a foam u-shaped ring that you slip onto the leading edge of the door (i.e. the edge opposite the hinge), and stops the door closing. Quick and simple. We also find a few door wedges work a treat.

how about solving the reason that the door slams???

obviously what is happening is called 'through ventilation'.... ie when the front door is open theres direct access for air to ventilate from rear to front (or vice versa).... not only is this a problem for the reason youve outlined about, but its also very very inefficient situation from an energy efficience point of view....

is there any way you can construct a 'draught lobby' at your front (or rear) door??? all this is is basically another door located after the front (or rear) door so that a lobby is formed... this can be done by the addition of a porch or it can be done internally....

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I've found what I am looking for although I can only guess that they are quite expensive and for an internal door in a house are not very discrete.

The device is called a door check and here is an example:

http://www.dictator.nl/engels/fredo.htm?http://www.dictator.nl/engels/e1000a.htm

Instead, I think I might just go for a concealed/barrel type door closer.
[broken link removed]

While this is not ant-slam it will at least keep the door closed and stop a gust of wind slamming it closed from a 150 degree open position..

As a matter of interest has any one seen these "Door Check" devices for sale in Ireland?

cybermate

Came across exactly what I was looking for in Woodies for less that EUR 5. It's from Dreambaby and is called "Stop Slam".

If the door closes quickly, for example a gust of wind or otherwise this device engages and door stops short of closing avoiding little fingers getting trapped. If closed smoothly the door closes completely.

[broken link removed]

A great little device I must say.

cybermate