Stone on bays - dry fit

kilbird

I am picking stone for my bay windows on a new build and really like the look of a dry fit (rather than the look that has cement around each piece of stone?). Does anyone have any experience of this? anyone know if stone mason charges much more for this kind of fit?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Dry fit means gaps to me. Hence chance of water ingress and freeze thaw action.

Hi

My OH is a Stone Mason/Blocklayer. He done a house last year with a dry fit under the bay window. The people who owned the house then decided to do their sunroom in same stone, all dry fit.

Had never seen it done before but it is absolutely fantastic. I will ask him later what the stone was and other details and I have photos on my pc of this job as it was so so gorgeous.

The stone is a kinda black colour and the people have black windows in the house. Never saw anything so nice.

Will post again later when he is home about kind of stone he used and how much this stonework costs.

Hi Kilbrid

My OH is here beside me now and he says that a stonemason would charge approx €100 per metre to lay the stone. It a small bit more expensive due to fact that it is more time consuming than laying stone the other way.

The stone he used on clients house was black liscannor, it cost €280 a pallet. There is approx 4 metres on a pallet. O'Connells Stone in Cork were the suppliers of the stone.

Stone pieces should be 6" to 7" wide. Should be 1" to 2" of sand and cement mix, between block wall and stone. Stone (including sand and cement) should not come out any further than 8" from your block wall.

This client requested that the stone pieces used were no more than 1" and a half thick.

If you would like to see the photos just post your reply requesting them.

Carrielou

Back