Stockholm / Vasteras

IrishGunner

Hey

Ok booked a flight to Stockholm with Ryanair well its not Stockholm its Vasteras a good bit out but hey got it cheap

Hope to go straight into Stockholm either by train or coach and return & spend one night in Vasteras as its an early flight home next day

Anyone ever do this ?

Looking for accomodation in Stockholm nothing mad expensive but clean as bringing my missus

Also any information on any city would be much appreciated

Ta

Have flown into both of Ryanair's Stockholm airports. There's buses from both to Stockholm city centre. It's a fairly long trip though (over an hour if memory serves). Check out the airport's website there'll probably be timetables on there.

Stockholm is a great place to go. One of the most popular pubs in the city centre is the Dubliner pub, they'll point you in the direction of other places to go. Another going out area is Sodermalm which is an island to the south of the Gamla Stan (Old Town)

Spend some time wandering around Gamla Stan. You can also take in the palace and the paliament buildings as well. Nice area.
Bjorn Borg has apartment across water from palace overlooking harbour area.

You can catch a ferry across the harbour area over to Vaasa museum.
Worth a visit just to see how they actually resurrected the old ship from the harbour.
The funfair near there may be open this time of year, this can be fun if bunch of guys doing it, not sure about your missus.
Try and get a ferry or trip around the Archipalego.

It is a very nice city to wander around, I stayed in hotel on one main shopping streets that leads right down to Gamla Stan

[broken link removed]
Not bad but no restuarant or bar. They had a gorgeos receptionist but that is something you will notice a lot in Stockholm. Missus might not be too impressed.

Not far from Ahlens (pronounced Oh-lance) department store, lots of Abba cds to be had in there.
Not far from Central station that the train from Arlanda arrives into, but your one not sure about.

Check out this map for more ideas on location.

[broken link removed]

Try out this webiste for info also ...

So Ryanair do the buses into Stockholm similar to Paris etc ?

Checked out the airports website

Details of bus routes on hold till feb 12

Don't mind an hours journey on the bus to Stockholm get to see some of the country

Thing is its an early flight coming home so do Ryanair run the buses to connect with the flights. So not sure If I need to spend a night in Västerås

Would ring them but its easier to call Elvis!!

When are you flying?
The bus service was abandoned after Ryanair decided to pull out of Västerås last yr due to the high taxes, then the new right wing government took over and they did an about turn. The new busses will most likely restart once the Dublin route opens. Worst comes to the worst you can get a local bus into Västerås which is about the size of Gorey which goes at least 1/hr on weekdays. From there you can get a buss or train, most likely one going every hr. But like i say you will most likely be able to get a bus to Sthlm direct fromt he airport once they get their finger out. The airport is tiny so the allways wait for the plane to land.
You can get a hostel, "vandrarhem" cheap if you want to rough it student style a bit but if not it's the usual hotels.
Gammla Stan is the toursisty area (allways reminds me of the Irish Viking towns like Wexford), there are also loads of decent musuems worth a gander, most are free still (i think). If you get bored you can get a bus or train up to Uppsala (city, roughly the size of Cork) fairly cheap, take it in on your way back to Västerås?

Going the August BH leave early Thurs morning and come back Tues flight is at 10am from Vasteras

Yeah think there will be a few buses going emailed a few

Guy in work was in Uppsala last Aug bank holiday and loved it, student town

If worse did come to worse would make my way to Vasteras from Stockholm on the mon and spend the night there in order to make the plane

Again its all up in the air but I have plenty of time to plan it

The busses will definitely be on by then, remind me later and ill check it for you. Youll most likely be able to get a bus from Sthlm and make your 10am flight and all, it'd be wise to get a hotel near to "centralen".

Uppsala is dead in the summer time as the students feck off for 3 months. You wont get into the proper student bars without a local student id card, you cant around this with the old picture cellotaped on the little brothers USIT card trick.

Yeah buses seem to be running.Bus company just have to confirm it

Now looking for accommodation

Also found out that the weekend I am going is the Pride weekend so that should be a larf