Stira - Attic floor - Permission

kmelvin

Hi everyone,

I live in an apartment. I have an attic, but technically it is owned
by the Mgmt company. I believe this applys to all apartments, you only own from the paint-in, the Mgmt company owns the structure.

Do I need to get permission from the Mgmt Company to get the Styra and floor fitted? What about if I want to go the whole way and convert the attic?

Also, wheres the best place to buy a Stira and get it fitted?

Many thanks for any help you could give.

K

I would say this idea is a no-no. The attic space should be compartmented to limit the spread of fire but it may be protected by a fire detection and alarm system as well. To carry out work to an attic void (which you do not own anyway) would be classed as a material alteration and would almost certainly require both planning permission and a fire safety certificate. Forget about it.

Thanks for your feedback Carpenter.

I see your point regarding Fire & Safety in a common area.

I can't see the problem installing the stira ladder (easier access to the attic).

I might even floor a small section of the attic (purely for storage). The attic is fiber-glassed right across. There is an interal smoke alarm system - the smoke alarm in my hall is connected to everyother alarm. Obviously the area above and around the alarm will have to remain exposed.

What do you think?

No. Using this space for extra storage increases the "fire load" of the compartment and this would not have been assessed in the original Fire Safety Certificate. In anycase you'll find that use of the attic space is prohibited by the management company.

Does this mean that if one has a single room made of an attic space with a stairs leading to it from downstairs that this does not comply with building regs?

Does this mean that if one has a single room made of an attic space with a stairs leading to it from downstairs that this does not comply with building regs?

No, depends. Where you "convert" or alter the attic space for use as a habitable room it must comply with building regulations, regardless. In the case of a former two storey dwelling you have now have a three storey dwelling and there are certain requirements in terms of fire protection as well.

If, however you modify the attic (by addition of flooring and an access hatch with ladder) for storage only then this is not specifically addressed by building regulations as the space is not habitable. However the OP suugested altering a space which is "owned " by the management company...

Mine is a bungalow. It had 2 velux windows and as an extra in 1994 I had the builders floor it and put in a stairs. I then had it insulated and slabbed with sockets and rads as one open space. I'm preparing it for sale and someone said that it might not meet fire regs or building regs because there might need to be a landing area at the top of the stairs that is seperate from habitable room. Anyone have a link to where I could get the full building regs?

Try http://www.environ.ie (www.environ.ie) and go to building regulations. The Homebond manual gives some examples of the additional measure required also.

When you go up the stairs into the attic, is it open-format, or do you have a door into it?
If its enclosed, then you need a fire cert, as it counts as an attitional habitable room. 'technically', an attic conversion is not supposed to be used as a bedroom, but as storage. Hence when selling, you must say '3-bed with attic conversion', as opposed to calling it a '4-bed'.

Only if you put the Velux in the front of the house will you need PP.

Hi, I bought a 3 bed duplex that is a terrace and has an attic. The attic has walls on either side so it divides my duplex and the ones next to me, my water tank is in my attic. I was also thinking of putting in a stira or some alternative so i could store stuff up there, i wouldn't convert it.

How do I know if I can do this? What has the management company got to do with it? Are they not paid by the residents to look after a complex and empty bins, plant flowers, send letters etc.?

Thanks

this advice is incorrect....

firstly, fire safety certificates do not apply to detached, semi detached or terraced dwellings, .....
secondly, if you converted your attic without permission and now want to sell, you will have to apply for planning permission to retain the attic conversion..
thirdly, if the attic room complies with all relevant building regs.. ie ventilation space and fire escape, then you can by all means advertise it as a 4th bedroom...... (in order to comply with ventilation regs, the ceiling level at 2.4 m must be greater than the plane at 1.5 m... plus others.... in order to comply with fire regs the room should be fitted with an escape rooflight in accordance with 1.5 of TGD B...)
forthly, a rooflight fitted to any part of the roof technically needs planning permission.. it is not covered in the 'exempted development' section of the regs... however, this is often (wrongly) ignored by professionals signing off...
fifthly, you can have an open plan arrangement on the first floor (attic space)... the stairs serving the attic conversation has to be enclosed with storey-height construction and must discharge to the open air... this would be the usual situation if the stair is in th emain hall and discharges through the front door to the open air.... if the stair discharges into a room, other regs apply.. again check section 1.5 of TGD B.
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf
see page 53.