Stira & Attic Conversion Limerick/Tipperary

folder

Hello,

Im going to be living in Newport Co Tipperary.

Im looking for somebody to supply and fit an attic stairs and also around 30sq ft of attic flooring.

Stira are the only people I can find other than Dublin companies who wont come down from the pale.

Can anybody reccomend somebody to me for this job?

Any competent carpenter can fit an attic access "stairs" such as those manufactured by "Dolle". The material cost for a "stairs" (they're a ladder really) and some chipboard flooring wouldn't amount to much more than a couple of hundred euro so add labour in and I think you should get the lot done for less than €400.

That seem like a fair price for that type of work. Yes of course, attic ladders.

I had wondered. How do you fit the chipboard up into the attic space unless you do so in very small pieces?

Where does a person buy "Dolle"?

Here's a recommended contact for attic stairs for you:
Pat Carroll, based in Lisnagry Co Limerick Tel 061 339958 or 087 2543906

Folder, the "Dolle" attic ladders are stocked by Homevalue
Hardware, amognst others. I don't like those metal ladders, they're light alright, but they don't feel as sturdy as a good timber ladder. Woodies and the like stock narrow chipboard sheets specially intended for use in flooring an attic, although I have used regular 8x 4 sheets myself, just ripped them down to suit the access hatch opening.

Thanks City Girl. Curiously I spoke to Pat before reading it. My parents had one installed years upon years ago.

It was Pat Caroll. He said he would put in a heavy duty one for €390 and put down a floor in the attic for around 250.

All dependant on measurements.

I know he does good work as my parents stairs has never given an ounce of bother and is fairly large. The chipboard is also very sturdy in their attic.

He looks like a sure bet at the moment.

I got a builder to put in a stairs - available from atlantic, 4homes - problem with mine was that the timbers in the attic were quite close together so they had to be taken out and re-fixed - €400 altogether. Stira will only fit it, the hole has to be the right size to fit their ladders, if it's not you're responsible for getting the hole to the right size. B+Q have chipboard for attics that slides into each other - perfect for putting up for storage purposes. I screwed them in after fitting and they're fine for walking on and storing stuff on.

Stira will only fit it, the hole has to be the right size to fit their ladders, if it's not you're responsible for getting the hole to the right size.

This is not so - I have had two attic stairs fitted by Stira and in each case they enlarged the attic opening to accomodate the stairs. This is included in their standard price, which is around the €400 mark.

I concur with the previous post, Stira will sort out the opening and enlarge it as necessary. They seem to have a very professional service and phone the day before to arrange times etc. If fact when we got ours installed the guy called and said he was only 5 miles away and wondered would it be ok to call on the same day. If not they were would have gone back to Galway and drove down the next day as arranged as it happened it suited us on the day in question. I think we were waiting no more that 3 weeks from orgering to install.