Stillorgan / Kilmacud, 46A versus 11 bus route

Carmel

Hi
We are currently looking for a new house that will have a good bus service for my commute to the Donnybrook side of Ballsbridge. Stillorgan looks good because of the 46A. On paper the 11 bus to Appian Way also looks like a possibility from Kilmacud.

Does anyone have experience of these bus routes, and what the comparative travel times would be at rush hour? (Stillorgan to the top side of Morehampton Road versus Kilmacud to the Donnybrook side of Appian way).
Tks

Stillorgan would be better as apart from the 46a you also have the 145 and the 39 so you should never be waiting more than 5 minutes for a bus. From Stillorgan you have a bus lane to Donnybrook so it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

I'm not so sure about the 11 but I know Dublin Bus are re-jigging lots of services as part of Network Direct so services on that route could be altered soon if not already.

New 11 timetable here
[broken link removed]

Dont plan anything on the 11 bus route as its both intermittent and unreliable.
Its also a longer journey time. All busses on the stillorgan corridor are good and you would seldom to wait mor than afew minutes. Its also very quick. Probably the best dublin bus route of all.

46A all the way. Hands down. Not only are they far more frequent but there are other buses operating along the Stillorgan Rd that you can take as well. The 19/19a also serves the Glasnevin/Ballymun Road/Ballygall area, and it it is being abolished in July, with the 11/11a route being expected to take up the slack. So expect lots of uncertainty and messing going on there. Stillorgan also has a LUAS stop, that you could use in the event of a bus strike, heavy snow fall, traffic accident etc etc

I dont know the 11 bus route anymore, but the 46A is the best bus route in the Dublin bus network.

I hate to split hairs, but the LUAS stop called Stilorgan is not actually in Stillorgan. Depending where the hosue is in Stillorgan, you are probably within a 15 minute walk of it and as Beffers says, it is very reliable in all conditions.

Hi
Does anyone have experience of these bus routes, and what the comparative travel times would be at rush hour? (Stillorgan to the top side of Morehampton Road versus Kilmacud to the Donnybrook side of Appian way).
Tks

The 11 is a no brainer if you are only travelling to Appian Way as it goes through Goatstown, Clonskeagh and Ranelagh none of which have bus lanes and all of which are heavily congested during rush hours.

46A will have you there in 15 minutes, the 11 is far less frequent and could take 45 minutes in busy times.

Bus routes

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there is no competition. Good to know.

Regards

C

Was living beside these routes for years. 11 can be handy once you time it right but can get stuck/slow in traffic around Clonskeagh and Ranelagh at peak times. 46 bus corridor is faster because of this.