Still signing for credit card payments?

DaveD

If I remember correctly "chip and PIN day" was around mid February when all cc trancactions were suppposed to be verified by PIN if the cardholder was present. I've paid by cc on maybe 15 occasions since then and on about 8 of these transactions I've been asked to sign, I queried this and generallly got shrugged shoulders or some mumbeled answer that the "banks weren't sorted yet". Its happened mostly in petrol stations but also in B&Q and Smyths to shops.

Whats the point of having a "chip and PIN day" when as far as I can tell there are just as many merchants using the signature method as in the changeover period of years preceeding the "chip and PIN day". Maybe I'm the only one though.

Still had to sign many times since mid March, must be UK was mid Feb then.

Still had to sign many times since mid March, must be UK was mid Feb then.

You can still sign but it is completely at the discretion of the retailer. Any fraud, disputes or problems will be their responsibiltiy and there is no come back with the bank.

The new PIN rules also don't apply to non chip CC/debit cards that are still in circulation (like my PTSB ATM/Laser card).

The new PIN rules also don't apply to non chip CC/debit cards that are still in circulation (like my PTSB ATM/Laser card).

Have you had any hassle trying to use this card? Obviously you shouldn't but I'd imagine you could get a misinformed cashier somewhere who'd give you grief...

Have you had any hassle trying to use this card? Obviously you shouldn't but I'd imagine you could get a misinformed cashier somewhere who'd give you grief...

I have a Barclays Debit Card issues by Barclays in Ireland which has no CHIP. When I try to use it, I'm getting the "irish cards must have CHIP" line followed by "I can't take the card because I would be liable for fraud" in some shops.

I wish people would understand what banks are telling them, if no CHIP/PIN than signature - same fraud cover for retailer if he gets authorisation!

I've used my non chip PTSB ATM/Laser in at least Tesco, Lidl and the Body Shop with no problems.

I wish people would understand what banks are telling them, if no CHIP/PIN than signature - same fraud cover for retailer if he gets authorisation!

That must be frustrating alright but you can see how there would be confusion. I'm sure there are businesses where staff are terrified of making a mistake wisomething like this. Perhaps the answer is to see not using chip and pin as a rather large black mark against institutions like PTSB and Barclays?

I remember times when they first rolled out CHIP/PIN in france and foreigners were advised to get a letter from their bank (in french) stating that no CHIP/PIN card exists for that bank and requesting that the card is accepted.

Maybe I should ask Barclays and PTSB for such a letter (obviously in irish) ;-)

Nope but I have noticed that they do now actually check the signature in some places.

I have had my PTSB card refused twice was told the shops in question did not have the facility for it. I went in to bank and was told shops have to take card.
I dont understand why PTSB could not have their cards ready on time as cash machines are not always available in rural towns.

Some retailers are reluctant to take unchipped Irish cards, as it could be a counterfeit card. Suppose you have a chipped card and someone gets your card details. They can make a fake card using your details, but they (hopefully) won't be able to copy the chip. But they can still use the fake unchipped card in shops. I'm not sure if the retailer is covered in this situation.

I see Dunnes Stores have a notice up saying they will continue to allow you to sign for CC sales if you don't know your PIN.

My understanding is that the agreement involving banks and retailers on the introduction of Chip & PIN is that the weakest link in the chain bears any fraud loss, regardless of how the loss arose. (This does not, of course prevent the loss-carrying bank from seeking redress from it's customer)
Accordingly in the event of fraud:-
* If a non-chipped card (or it's clone) is used in a chipped retailer, the issuing bank carries the loss.
* If a chipped card is used in a non-chipped retailer, the retailer carries the loss.
* If a chipped retailer ignores or overrides the chip and uses signature, then the retailer carries the loss.
* If both card and retailer are unchipped then the case will be decided on it's merits.
* If both card and retailer are chipped and the PIN is used, then the card issuing bank will likely argue that the cardholder was either negligent or complicit in a fraud
These rules were to be implemented over a period. I'm not sure if the period has fully expired for all parties.

Some retailers are reluctant to take unchipped Irish cards, as it could be a counterfeit card.

But the OP has a chipped card (I presume it is Irish) and my card is chipped but I still cannot use it in the self service tills in Tesco.

Back