Still no regulation and oversight of the quarrying and concrete block industries

joe sod

Did anyone see the prime time program last night on defective block problem in other counties like wexford and carlow not covered under the current government redress scheme. They were again built in 2004 to 2006 time period when alot of these problems emerged.
Only since 2020 we have a tiny regulatory body in an office in Dublin corporation called the ncbo staffed by only 6 people monitoring this whole industry but they still are not testing concrete blocks only monitoring that the documentation corresponds to EU certification and they are woefully under resourced for that task
Why when the lack of effective regulation in this industry since the early 90s now costing billions, why is the government not prepared to have a proper regulatory body like every other European country.
It's not like we don't spend huge sums of money on regulation of social stuff like alcohol awareness, obesity etc etc etc ,many of questionable value

In a previous life I used to being concrete test cubes for testing on certain jobs. It's this something that used to happen, or only for special cases or never happen. Is there legal framework for this testing.

In a previous life I used to being concrete test cubes for testing on certain jobs. It's this something that used to happen, or only for special cases or never happen. Is there legal framework for this testing.
Your post doesn't really make much sense.

I used to see concrete test cubes bring crush tested. Is that a practice no longer done. I'm a long time out of that industry

Last edited:
I used to see concrete test cubes bring crush tested. Is that a practice no longer some.
Id say its a requirement for certain industrial construction jobs like a Pharma construction or an Intel fab but , in other words the industry itself requires it rather than it being a government regulatory requirement. Im just guessing though because if it was a government regulation surely all those defective concrete blocks would have been discovered quickly

Back