Sticking down threshold strips

ennisjim

Hi,
I tried fitting timber-effect metal strips to joins in internal doorways recently but some of them didn't stick down well. They have a strong adhesive strip but they only stuck down well if the levels of the 2 floorings (tile/tile in some cases, tile/timber in others) were almost exactly level. I also used 'ramped' strips where the levels were different by more than a few mm but they only stuck well if the floorings differed by about 8mm or so.

Anyway, I would like to find an additional adhesive to use which can stick these strips onto tile and timber. Underside of the strips is metal so I need a good strong adhesive for steel/tile and steel/timber.

The timber-effect does not appear to be very hard-wearing and I expect I may need to replace them after several years. Therefore I would only like to use spots of adhesive to make it easier to remove in the future.

Any recommendations for suitable strong adhesive welcome.
Thanks

My favourite construction adhesive is "Gripfill" from Laybond (green tube even though it's about as environmentally friendly as an atomic bomb), known affectionally as Gorilla Snot. Sticks anything to anything else. Get it right the first time, though. Or buy a Kango hammer.......

Mystic Oil - I was trying to think of the name of Gripfill for the last twenty mins to reply to op, thanks for putting me out of my misery ! To the OP - gripfill is the best thing you can get for this job, fill the hole and wipe any excess straight away.

Thanks folks for the recommendation. 'gorilla snot' sounds like it could do the job
Looks like No More Nails might work too - it's supposed to work with metal.

Gripfill is excellent ........ but if you don't like gorilla's snot on your fingers, then try SERIOUS STUFF (seriously!) by Evo-stik. A little lighter than Gripfill, it dries white and you don't have to put on as heavy a bead.

Looks like No More Nails might work too

Gripfill and No More Nails are pretty much the same thing, just different brands of gap filling contact adhesive. It's anything but easy to remove though, but then anything that does an adequate job of holding these strips in place will be.
Leo

A bead or blobs of good quality silicone will work too.

Although I could also recommend an Evo Stik product called 'Sticks Like S**t', quote unquote, believe it or not, that is exactly what it is called, only available in trade outlets, in the UK, not sure about Ireland.

If the OP is going to get the strips up in a few years then the adhesives suggested may be too strong. Personally , I would get proper timber strips in and fix them permanently.

Hi BillK,
I would love to fit T-shaped timber strips but unfortunately the tile and timber flooring was fitted with too small gap. I considered cutting out the gap to allow timber strips to be fitted but while gentle work with grinder might cut tile most of the way I couldn't figure out how to cut the last few inches which the grinder disk couldn't get to.
Anyway, I'll try to use the strong adhesives sparingly with a view to removing when they get grubby/scuffed/etc.
Thanks all for the advice and the few giggles with product names.