Sterling cheques

collie

Hi,

I have some UK sterling cheques and my building society will not cash them. I do not have a bank account.

How can I change them?
Can I go to any bank with my drivers licence or passport and they will change them for me?

Any ideas!

Regards
C.

Any time I want to cash cheques I'm told by my bank that they have to be lodged to my account. Your building society should be more helpful than just refuse you point blank. Ask them what to do and maybe mention about closing your account.

My account is with EBS and they say they no longer have the facility to change these cheques or even lodge them into my account, as they are not a bank!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am in the process of moving my business form them but was hoping to lodge these cheques anyway. Just another reason to move I suppose.

I dont want to sound like Shane Ross but I dont think for one minute they care if I close my accounts with them.

Regards
C.

I had exactly the same situation with EBS. Under no circumstances would they take sterling cheques, these were mickey mouse dividend cheques of about £20 a time, couple of time a year. I lodge them to my Ulsterbank current account with no problems.

do you have a mate with an account they could lodge them and give you the cash

Depends whether cheques are crossed. If cheque is crossed "account Payee only" then you have a prob.
If cheque is crossed with no other writing or with the words "& Co" in the crossing, then a bank may accept it from your mate if it was endorsed by both of you. Endorsing is just signing on the back.
If it is not crossed (this is unlikely but possible), then it should be straightforward, provided you both endorse it.

Another creative approach is (depending how much you have) if you dont wish to spend the cash and would like to invest the sterling, you can use it to buy shares in Irish companies listed on the FTSE (through a cheaper UK stockbroker?) which can then be sold in the future for euros and which will produce euro dividend cheques.

Why dont you contact whoever issued you with these cheques and ask them to do a transfer to you instead

Back