Stereo System for house

Ruam

I am currently building an extention on our house and want to put in a wireless sound system. I want to put all my CDs/mps files etc. onto a computer/hard disk and send them wireless to speakers on the walls.

I persume I will need to get speaker with built in amps. Has anyone any experience doing this and if so whatt products did they use?

Thanks for any help

Ruam

Hi Ruam, you might get more response to your query in this forum.

There are a few other threads around here on audio streaming devices such as the Sonos and Philips Streamium, these might do the job for you. Use the search facilty to find what you need.
Leo

There is a magazine called Computeractive who in current issue have what they call The complete guide to WiFi-have not seen it yet but intend buying it-its a good mag for those-like me-who struggle with some of this techie stuff-they keep it simple

We recently went for the Philips streamium and find it very good so far. No problem with transferring MP3 from PC to the main unit and no problem with the WiFi reception. FM Radio incuded on each station. Can play different tunes in each room or same in all rooms etc. Music sorted by Artist, Album, Genre and ther's playlists also.

Cost €800 for the main centre and 1 station, each additional station costs€250.

Thanks for the advice. I will look at the Sonos and Philips Streamium and buy Computeractive.

Once agaign thanks for all the advice

Thanks for the advice. I will look at the Sonos and Philips Streamium and buy Computeractive.

Once agaign thanks for all the advice

The Sonos is probably more expensive but is cooler. There are also other options such as the Squeezebox and the SlingBox (which does video as well) which have been covered elsewhere on AAM. (The Sonos is very popular with AAM users, especially those based in Wexford. )

Also, Apple are coming out with a new cool product in Spring 2007 called the [broken link removed]which will probably make these music-only streaming solutions seem very passé. (Their current offering - [broken link removed] - works from your PC or Mac only and is very reasonably priced but may tie up your PC and has no remote.)

If buying a Streamium, bear in mind that there is a new media server out - the WACS7000 - with a bigger hard disk (80GB rather than 40GB) and a better LCD screen. The older models should thus be cheaper.

See the press release or the http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/concept_landing_page.jsp?concept=SB30000002&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER (Philips) site for more info.

As Mr Bond said,

If you were to ask me the Sonos is the way to go. Expandable andscaleable. I looked at the streamium too but decided against it in the end, although it was cheaper than Sonos I will admit.

The support for Sonos is aboslutely fantastic, bough mine a year ago, and have had two automatic software upgrades adding additional features since I got it. One was only yesterday where sonos added additional music library features, alarm clock and snooze features. I dont think there is any other product of the likes which provides this kind of support. My system keeps improving and is better today and has more features that it did the day I bought it. Not many systems will do that for you.

With regards fm reception, I actually dont use an fm tuner anymore, I stream all my music into sonos over the net.

Wexfordman

PS (Contrary to the username, I'm actually based in Cork Bond )

If I was to get wireless speakers for a house that doesn't have a PC but just wants to hook up to DVD Hi/Fi etc. what would be recommended.