Steps to the back garden - how can I raise the level?

ice

Couldn't think of a better title to explain this!

To access our back garden from the house you have to do down four steep steps. I would like to have decking or something similar at the same level as the house with steps starting further out and with a more gradual slope.

My question is
How can this be done?
Do I need a builder to do this?
Could it be done DIY (other half is quite handy)?

Thanks

A frequent dilemma for many and there are a number of options. Decking would be reasonably low cost but I wouldn't recommend it directly at house because of high maintenance and risks of slips/falls.

On the otherhand a paved patio would look better, perform better with less maintenance but would cost more.

Seamless transition form interior to exterior is preferred solution, and with 4 steps it is perhaps better to put level changes to garden side of patio, and even better if it is possible to break steps and avoid a flight of 4 steps and go for an intermediate or split level whereby you have 2 steps/level. Part of the access to ground level might be via steps on oneside and a ramp on the other, the latter are good for wheeling things etc but require a little more space to be accomodated.

With 4 steps (height approx 600mm) you will require retaining walls for raised patio.

Do bear in mind if you opt for a patio level with exit doors it will be very important to instal an aco drain channel(applie sto wooden floors) to trap rain and take it away and thus avoid any risk of moisture build up at patio door entrance with flooring.

Project would be suitable for at least an advanced DIYer but a competent landscaper would be better option.

Thanks for that....I am not a fan of decking so think the patio would be better although I find it hard to get an image in my head of a raised patio.

Not sure it the other half would be able for it so think I will contact a few landscapers as you suggested.

Any idea on cost (even a rough guess)

thanks

We had similar problem although only 2 steps so not as steep. We looked closely at options for raising patio level with paved finish to level of house as I too did not like decking.

The major issue was the damp proof layer for the house - you have to keep air circulating into it under the paved area. There are "stilts" available that the paved area basically sits on top of and air can then get into the damp proof layer. However our builder/architect would not guarantee that this solution would work so we ended up going with decking.

To be fair, deck has been down about 2 years now and I love it. No problems at all with sliping and its fantastic for the kids - we do have a lot of sun at back of house so maybe if you had shade there might be more of a problem with slipping. It needs to be refinished though which is a major pain but its worth it to be able to walk out back door onto a level deck - its a cliche but we do really use it like another room if the weathers any way decent.

Toby,
Is there no problem with the damp proof layer if you go with decking ?

Is it expensive to put down decking ?

Thanks

No the decking sits up on supports with air moving freely underneath so no damp proof prob. We got it done as part of total garden landscaping so I don't know cost of decking alone I'm afraid

Impossible to give costing guide without seeing site, and also because factors include area size, height, and extent of retaining walls required, finishes etc. Best determined following site survey and preparation of itemised costings.