Steps to building foundations

Guju121

Just starting a new house build and am a bit confused about the foundatons.
I am going with a timber frame house and wanted to find a builder to do the foundations for me ( up to and including the floor slab ) but had a lot of trouble finding someone.
Hence I am having to hire individual people to do each step in the foundations.
Just got the topsoil removed where the house is going by my digger man, but am unsure of the rest of the steps.
Here is what I think need to be done ...
1. Get a foundation layout plan from the timber frame company
2. Mark out the foundation strips
3. Dig out the strips
4. Put steel into strips
5. Pour concrete for strips
6. Blocklayer to begin rising walls
7. Pipework for waste water ( sinks and toilets )
8. Pipework for sinks ( cold taps )
9. Pipes for electricity and phone services
10. Infill with crushed stone
11. Infill with sand on top of stone
12. Install radon sump
13. Lay radon/DPM on top of sand and over the top of both the inner leaf and outer leaf wall. Outer leaf wall should be about 1 block lower than the inner leaf wall at this stage. The rising walls for the interior structural walls should also be 1 block short at this stage
14. Seal up any holes in the radon/DPM where pipes come up througt it
15. Finish rising wall outer leaf and the last course of the interior rising walls
16. Install steel for floor slab
17. Pour the floor slab up to the level of the innerleaf rising wall ( same level as top of radon/DPM )
18. Put DMC onto top of rising wall ( on top of radon/DPM )
19. Install sole plate for the timber frame house

You will probably notice I have not put insulation under the slab. This is because I plan to put UFH in on top of the floor slab with insulation and a screed.
One thing I am confused about is the level of the finished floor. Can the screed be higher than the sole plate, or should the FFL be the same height as the DPC.

Any advice welcome ...

Heres some advice ..... Put insulation down in your floor .... What you spend on it will save you more in heating costs in the long run (not to mention the extra volume of concrete it will take up)!!!!

Am i right in thinking you are building a house with no engineer? If you are asking here for details then im not sure you should be managing a development. Im curoius who is going to supervise the sign off on your development.

If you are gonna go at this your self then at a minimum, go to Easons & pick up a copy of the Homebond manual.

I don;t understand why you havn;t got an Engineer for this - who is going to give you the cert of compliance?

My architech/engineer will be signing off on the build, I was just trying to start a discussion about the hole process, to get it clear in my head and to get advice from other people who have gone through the same process.

Going back to the original query - are there any other steps/aspects that havnt been considered in the above approach?

You have given the method, what about demisions & design? for example who has carried out the calculations for load bearings, point loads, super imposed loadings etc.. Soil conditions..

If you don`t have P.I. and require a mortgage the bank will not grant you approval or allow you to draw down the stage payment.

I deal with banks in this regard and they are very strict, they need to protect their money.

Look its fine if you want to build your house with your own fair hands, but please go about it the correct way. If you dont you might pay dearly for a very simple mistake.

Back