Steps after getting keys?

2Clueless

Hi, it looks like I’m getting the keys today. What should I start organizing re utilities, water, alarm, bins, etc. before moving in? Clueless

Maybe a keyring as well!

Not sure what you mean. You just ring up all these places and get your accounts set up. It's your place now. You can move in first or not if you like.

Is it a new build? Will you be transferring over any services from a previous home?

Take readings of gas and electric meters- Ask the estate agents for the MPRN and GPRN. Check bonkers.ie for the best deals for each

Bins- Check cheapest providers in the area. I would check to see who the majority of neighbours use
Alarm- Is there one in place. Do you want to get it monitored?
TV/Broadband- check best deals

Change your address with-

TV licence
Car Tax & Insurance
Pension providers
Banks
Loyalty schemes- e.g Tesco clubcard
May need to change credit union if you are a member
Polling station to get voting cards
Mobile provider
Employer
Revenue
Your GP

There are probably more but that's a good start

Thanks for replies. It’s an old house, unoccupied for 6 months. Appears ready to move into, once utilities set up

Hi, it looks like I’m getting the keys today. What should I start organizing re utilities, water, alarm, bins, etc. before moving in? Clueless
If you haven't done so already, home insurance should be your first port of call.

Check with your friends if there is any referral schemes for utilities - eg Thorntons bins give €50 split between both parties for a new customer. Obviously ensure the package you sign up for is the best value for what you need.

Should already have it as a condition of the mortgage (assuming a mortgage is in place)

Make sure you change the contact address for your home insurance as well. Our renewal quote after the first year went to our old address and we ended up not having insurance for a couple of weeks. Could haven been a horrendously expensive oversight.

Back