Steel truss design and spec

Jolly Man

Any body here used steel trusses in their builds? I have a glass gable wall in mine facing out towards the sea, i have no spec on it and before i go to a structural engineer i would like to see if anyone has experience of something like this and how did they go about it?
What i am thinking of is three to four steel trusses with columns bolted to the foundations and will be hidden within the cavity of the walls can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jolly man.

I am putting a lot of glass in my house. Also in the process of getting steel. However i do not have in gables.
You will have to have the two purlins propped up with 2 steel columns. However if the complete gable is open top to bottom there will be no cavity to hide the columns in. these can be bulit into the window frames. In other words put in the columns where the glass will be. The window company will make up a shroud to cover the column wth a pvc wrap around or timber if the windows are timber. I think from reading you mail you have dealt with the lower sides if the roof. However it needs support in the middle. You may need steel purlins in the roof instead of timber to weld or bolt the vertical columns to.

Hayabusa

I am looking for a detail in my gable similar to this so i can have a full cathedral ceiling inside. so would it be colums within the glass or whats the best way around it? i would like if possibe to have a biofold sliding door in the middle.

[broken link removed]

Hi Jolly Man

I am at a stage build in Galway(walls are up), just wondering how did the steel trusses go for you, I have a large open plan area spanning 6m & having a vaulted ceiling, oak trusses are very expensive. Where did you source the trusses from?

Back