staying in Orlando but want to visit the Florida Keys

Maggie B

Hi,
We will be in Florida in Jan for 2 weeks in the LBV area and as we are not doing the parks this time I am wondering if it is feasible to visit the Florida Keys?
We will be flying into and out of Orlando international, staying sc, with only a deposit paid yet.
Our Son will have a car for the 2 weeks and he will be driving.
Should we book our LBV villa for 2 weeks and perhaps go to the keys for a few days--- or book LBV for 1 week and keys for other- bearing in mind we have to be back to Orlando for flights.
Any Info would be appreciated.

It's certainly do-able! And you'll love the keys - be sure you go to Key West, it's amazing.

I'd only book your place in LBV for 1 week and then book a week in the keys.

Try check out flights from Orlando to KW - if you get them for a fairly reasonable price I would fly down. You won't need your car at all in Key West.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=80243

thank you so much will check it out, one final question, I am flying Aer lingus so which airport is nearest to Key west for return journey to dublin.

Well if you have your Dublin-Orlando return flights booked you could book an internal return flight from Orlando to Key West.

Flights to Key West might be expensive - you could also consider flying from Orlando to Miami and driving down to Key West from there.

Flights to Key West might be expensive - you could also consider flying from Orlando to Miami and driving down to Key West from there.

Yes you should be able to rent a car one way for about 40 euro for the day to get you down. You can then get rid of the car while you are in KW and then rent it for the drive back up to Miami to catch your flight to Orlando.

If you are staying in Key West, consider the Author's Guesthouse, it's a gorgeous place with each room styled in a different way and dedicated to a famous American writer! One of the best places I have stayed in!

would you consider driving from orland to key west, you can give it 3 days and take in some lovely towns along the way i.e. naples, sarasota etc.

key west is fab to b honest. the over seas highway leaves miami and its about 100 miles to key west. you are so close to the water its amazing, im sure you know it from the start of CSI miami. i loved key west, we stayed in the key lime inn. each room was a little chalet, heated outdoor pool. it really was just fanatastic. be sure to take a sunset cruise, the view is class.

key west is expensive though especially for accommodation.

Hi we were thinking about going but could only find B&B type accomdation for 250 dollars a night !!!! Plus it is a VERY long drive...

Worth every cent!!!!! (I think we paid about 200 dollars a night).

The B&B's are amazing - not like Irish B&B's at all! http://www.cypresshousekw.com/ We have stayed here a few times.

Plus with the exchange rate so good, now is the time to head to a higher end US destination.

However, to cut cost cuts you could stay in self catering accomodation. If you are going with a group you can really cut costs.
www.vacationrentalskeywest.com

KW is such a unique place. Have traveled loads in the states and it is so amazing. Think of a island with fantastic weather, chilled out people & bars and best of all - no chains!!!!

Check out Tripadvisor for more details.