Staycation Tax Break scheme

thanks, my pension is under the taxable limit, it seem a bit discriminatory
It probably does, the same policy applies to Medical Expenses claims for tax relief, if you don’t pay taxes, there is zero benefit.

one option, is to find someone who is paying taxes, dine out with them, and they claim the credit, split the proceeds.

The Stay and Spend Scheme, which was launched today, aims to help drive sales in the hospitality sector during the off-season. It will run from 1 October to 30 April.
The scheme will provide a maximum of €125 in income tax credits to taxpayers who spend up to €625 in restaurants, pubs, hotels, B&Bs and other qualifying businesses, from autumn 2020 through to spring 2021, including over the Christmas period.
Where a taxpayer has insufficient income tax liability to fully benefit from the measure, they may still avail of the relief against their USC contributions.

Further details that there is a minimum spend of €25 per individual transaction:

“In line with the minimum spend threshold, each taxpayer must have incurred expenditure of at least €25 in each individual transaction in order to include it in his or her claim. As such, if the total bill is €80 and it is split equally between four customers, none of them will be able to include this cost in their claim for the ‘Stay and Spend’ tax credit as they will not have incurred expenditure of at least €25 each in relation to that transaction.”

Is that because of the increased tax free allowances you get as a pensioner?
No. there is no increase tax allowance, it's because my total taxable income (pension) is below the taxable limit

No. there is no increase tax allowance, it's because my total taxable income (pension) is below the taxable limit
Okay, I thought it might be the much lower PRSI and the additional tax credits for those over 65.
At least you won't have to pay for the Bus to or from the Restaurant and if you get food poisoning you can use your medical card :D

A very poor uptake of registrations, so far. One would think hotels, at least, would be well organised, as people plan ahead for stays, but the majority are not registered yet, maybe, there is a backlog of registrations, which are pending approval by Revenue.

It does not cost anything to be registered, just a requirement, to have a valid tax clearance certificate.

Apologies, my error, there is a page selector at the bottom of the page, that i missed completely, very good take up all over the country.

Does anyone know if you can claim against GroupOn Hotel purchases from the 1st of October? I couldn't see any details but I imagine Booking.com would be covered (which can have their own discounting / margins) so there shouldn't be a difference?

Does anyone know if you can claim against GroupOn Hotel purchases from the 1st of October?

If it's not in the list, it's not covered. Your receipt will need to be issued directly by the registered establishment, so the likes of GroupOn will not be allowed. Booking.com might work where you have the option to pay on-site rather than pre-pay. The terms providers need to comply with are detailed in the Revenue guide.

This also means that websites that charge non refundable deposits for hotel stays, like Supervalu, Lidl Breaks, Today FM breaks etc, that part of the cost is ineligible, as it is only the bill from the establisment, is valid for claims, which would exclude such deposits.

Have been uploading receipts for this on the Revenue Receipts Tracker APP, i notice there is no verification of whether an restaurant/hotel is actually a registered for the scheme, which i thought was odd.

Hi,

If I pay in full for a holiday based in Ireland now but go on holiday in July can I avail of this credit? Thanks

Completed tax return, and we got just over a grand in for 2020 tax return, managed to get in two hotel breaks between lockdowns, and a good few meals out.

As expected, to date, stay and save tax credit claims have been far short of expectations, due to xmas lockdown, so i expect the deadline to be extended by several months, as most people were not in a position to avail of this scheme.

Back