Staunton announces team panel

oldtimer

I think Staunton has erred with his panel of 24.
(1) If (God forbid) Givens became sick or unfit are we back to Wayne Henderson of San Marino fame? Henderson isn't playing any first team football at the moment. As far as I know the current Birmingham goalkeeper, Doyle, is Irish and he has kept many clean sheets lately.
(2) Long and Stokes in - Morrison and Connolly out. Now what have Long and Stokes done since San Marino to justify their inclusion. Neither has hardly played at all and general concensus re Long is he is not ready yet. I know Morrison and Connolly have been tried before with limited success but the fact is both are scoring freely and playing regularly. Any suggestions what the starting eleven will be against Wales?

Oldtimer,
I have 2 agree strongly,
as regards doyle,he's first choice in a team possibly heading to the premiership,while henderson
a,isn't first choice in a league 1 team &
b,has not impressed when wearing the green.
It suggests to me that staunton has no idea what's happening to the irish outside the premiership!!
as regards long,I could understand,he's possibly 1 for the future

Agree with the OP on both counts, except maybe for the point on Long.
The keeper situation is a mystery alright.

I assume that he picked Folan just in case another country was interested (assuming he actually plays)?

I don't really like Connolly, but on form, he should be there.

Why Gibson???? What has he done to warrant inclusion over Stephen Quinn?

I was just listening to Off The Ball and it was hilarious

SS on Anthony Stokes

"He was a big fish at underage level. He was a big fish in Scotland. Now he is a big fish playing with the big boys"

Is Shea Given like a second captain?

"First captain, second captain, pfft, whatever. It's only an armband"

Starting 11 (my prediction-not necessarily who I'd play):

Given
Finnan
Dunne
McShane
O'Shea/O'Dea
Zilbane
Carsley
Ireand/O'Shea
Duff
Keane
Doyle

I guess there is a chance that Hunt could get the nod over Ireland with Zilbane playing in the centre.

this new guy Folan is in as we want a bit of height up front!!! Whats Alan lee done wrog...13 league goals this season and not a mention of him. He's 6ft2, and has good strength. Madness

Whats Alan lee done wrong...13 league goals this season and not a mention of him. He's 6ft2, and has good strength. Madness

Delboy! Give me one good reason why Stan should pick a player in form?

Remember, he's a world class manager, so don't question him.

Conspiracy theory alert:

Three Sunderland players have done more than well the last few weeks, David Connolly, Daryl Murphy and Liam Miller. Keane said recently he couldn't understand why they weren't in the last Irish squad.

One Sunderland player hasn't done so well in the last few weeks, Anthony Stokes, axed for the last two games after punctuality problems and a lashin' from Keane (not a literal one - I think).

So, who's the only Sunderland player called up to the Irish squad?

Is there a history between Stan and Roy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting 11 (my prediction-not necessarily who I'd play):

Given
Finnan
Dunne
McShane
O'Shea/O'Dea
Zilbane
Carsley
Ireand/O'Shea
Duff
Keane
Doyle

But now I see that Harte was actually named in the squad, so I guess he will play at left back.

And if O'Shea has to play, it should be at centre back. A midfield of Carsley and O'Shea would be dire. At least Ireland has a bit of creativity and can pass a ball.

Not happy with Zilbane on the right - or left or centre, come to think of it. Would opt to live dangerously and go for McGeady on the right, Duff on the left and Ireland and Carsley in the middle. The choice of O'Shea or Harte at left-back is like choosing between the electric chair and lethal injection after you've been given the death penalty. Either way you can't really win.

Remember, he's a world class manager, so don't question him.

LOL

Staunton/the FAI are so useless that I've lost interest in Irish soccer.

Three Sunderland players have done more than well the last few weeks, David Connolly, Daryl Murphy and Liam Miller. Keane said recently he couldn't understand why they weren't in the last Irish squad.

Yeah, Sunderland are totally on form, with their Irish players getting regular football and scoring. It makes no sense to leave them out of the squad for Premiership players who barely make the subs bench.

Gee ladss - for a while I wondered who is Zibane (Ccovich and Bushfire). Had Stan pulled off a major coup and persuaded Zidane to declare for Ireland? Then I realised it meant Kilbane. Just read text page 231 Stan warns strikers in 'championship' they are up against strikers in 'premiership'.

This might sound a little mad, but I'd drop Duffer. He's playing really badly, Newcastle played him at left back in a game last week. Hunt is a much better bet for this weekend. He's playing regularly, with a great deal of confidence. Stan is bound to pick Ireland after he saved his neck against san marino, so that should mean Harte gets left on the bench, with O'Shea getting the nod at left back. McGeady on the right, with Keane and Doyle up front.

As regards goalkeeper, he should sort things out with Kenny and fast.

Past30

I wouldn't hesitate to drop Duff. Hunt is the sort of player (more 'honest' as they say) that we need in our current situation IMHO.

I would drop duff too. Im a newcastle fan too!Have seen him play recently, unfortunatley it looks like his best days are behind him at a youthful 28. Hunt will give some honest hard work and seems to be in the right place at the right time. Going to the game but i have no idea why. Ireland are a disgrace of late. We are a joke in world football to persist with Steve staunton, he has proved that he is not able for the job. So many of the players are underachieving though ...harte, kilbane, o shea, duff, etc.not many options up front either. Keane better with a spurs jersey it seems