statutory rape

MorrisDunn

Hypothetical situation.

A girl of 16 at the time and a man in his late 20's have consensual sex and a baby is conceived and the girl is 17 when it is born. She registers the child as "father unknown".

Now 2 years later father and mother are still together and happy. She now wants to name the father and have the birth cert amended. When the father names himself as the father is there any chance that the Gardaí will be informed as it would not take a genius to work out the child was conceived whilst the mother was underage?

I would imagine that if they are living together as husband and wife and have been for 2 years that this would have some bearing on the statutary rape aspect.

I would imagine that if they are living together as husband and wife and have been for 2 years that this would have some bearing on the statutary rape aspect.

No it wouldnt.

No statute of limitation for rape. She couldnt consent under todays legislation. He is still wide open for prosecution.

Is there currently any legislation on the books in regards to this? Were the last laws struck down?

Also would a registrar have a duty to report this to the Gardaí?

I would also imagine that there could be a problem if the relationship splits up badly after a few years.

Although if she were to claim statutory rape after 5 years, it could be proven by DNA anyway.

Tough one.

Brendan