Statement of behalf of disabled mother??

MidlifeCrisis

Hi,
My mum is in hospital because of a broken hip. She cannot travel. I need a statement of account for the fair deal scheme from her CU but they won't give me one. Mum on the phone couldn't order one. Mum on the phone couldn't nominate me to act for her. They said if she cannot attend in person then they need a solicitor's letter!!!

It sounds like my mother is being seriously discriminated against because of an injury/disability. Able-bodied people don't face this issue.

Is there any way around this?

I found the Administrator in the hospital to be very helpful so you could try asking for their advice as this type of thing must happen on a regular basis.

Citizens Information also gives the following info:

Where to apply for the Fair Deal​

You can download an application form (pdf). Forms are also available from any healthcare setting in your area, including your Local Health Office and hospitals. Send the completed form with the documents listed on the application form to your Local Nursing Homes Support Office.
If you have any questions, contact your local Nursing Homes Support Office or contact the HSE Live team on 1800 85 1500 or on 01 240 8787. If calling from outside Ireland, phone +353 1 240 8787.

In our case credit union were willing to post statement to home address.
Balance of privacy v access seemed fair.
Other state agencies did similar like LPT "I can't tell you over the phone but I will repost the Lpt letter to your fathers home address"

FWIW,

Most places will only deal with the account holder, if I'm helping my dad out, I assume his identity, its a case of having his basic details in front of me.
Now I wouldn't get away with doing the same for my Mother!! Unless she was a 40 a day smoker

I wonder if you had called as your "Mum" would there have been an issue? Its just being creative, ,

Back