State savings cheque

Sarah886

Hi hoping some one can help me
My parents had a savings bond for my brother and I which has just matured
Cheque has come through and is in both our names
My brother now lives in oz bank would not take the cheque has it was in both our names aswell as my maiden name
I can prove who I am with birth very marriage cert etc but I can get Tom into bank obviously
I have rang state savings and they can't change the name
On the cheque to just mine
Anyone know how I could lodge this

Would suggest you call into your own bank and if you dont have one contact some of the banks and ask them what theeir requirements are to open a joint bank account where one of the parties is abroad. If this is possible then when it is opened the cheque can be lodged into it

Has your brother any account in an Irish bank? If he has it would probably be easier open a joint account there as they would already have his id and you would be able to provide yours.

I am sure he has an Irish bank acc but has been gone over 15 years so would that be dormant ??

Might be but more than likely not up to date with i.d. that would be a problem.

Worth a try, ask if they could re-issue two individual cheques instead, to facilitate your circumstances.

Would someone cash the cheque for you as it may be the only solution. If you can achieve this it would be necessary to get his signature on back.

But if someone cashed it would it not present the same problem when they go to lodge

Someone with a business lodging a large number of cheques may be able to cash it. Is it a large amount?

have you tried your local Credit union? Did your brother ever have a credit union account? they may be in a position to open a joint account for you both. I had a dormant credit union account which was very easy to re-activate.

They won't I have called them a few times will not help

I wouldn't take that as a final answer. They have a facility to lodge a complaint if you are not satisfied with service, etc.
I can't see a reason why they can't issue individual payments or better still to transfer directly to your individual bank accounts through Iban etc.
Its a reasonable request, but it probably has to go up the ranks to be authorised. By going the complaint route, it means you've a better
chance to explain your difficulties in detail to a case officer, with a view to exploring options and finding a positive solution. This wasn't possible
through several phone calls, unhelpful response, each time. Not necessarily staff's fault, maybe it requires a higher ups decision to authorise.
If at that stage, its still a no, I would want the reasons explained in writing.

[broken link removed]

The only other option is to get the brother home on a holiday to sort it out.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Snowyb

There is no way any financial institution would issue seperate cheques in sole names for a jointly held deposit. Have you actually gone to a bank to find out their requirements to open a joint account in your particular circumstances?

it's priceless that the state savings crowd are still issuing cheques. I get one for €0.60 every month for a very small saving I have. The postage and stamp duty alone is more then the value of the cheque. I thought the Public Sector had signed up for the National Payments plan where they were supposed to stop issuing and receiving cheques but I guess there is an exception to every rule.

Is the chequre crossed A/c Payee only?, if not, you should be able to lodge it into you own account

Is the chequre crossed A/c Payee only?, if not, you should be able to lodge it into you own account
No not possible to lodge a cheque payable to 2 parties to the sole account of 1 party. What you can try is going to your solicitor who may be able to draw up an agreement to be signed by your brother and yourself where the cheque can be lodged to the solicitor client account and then funds distributed to both of you in line with that agreement.