State Pension after divorce and married again abroad

Butch

I would appreciate some guidance on the following.

I am a foreign national (naturalised Irish) that worked in Ireland during 1999-2010. During this period of time, I accrued benefits for a pro-rata State Pension (contributed for more than 10 years).

During the entire period above, I was married (we moved to Ireland together, married abroad). After leaving Ireland, I divorced my ex-wife in my new country of residence and after a while married again. I never notified the Irish authorities about my new civil status, nor the name of my new wife - my main beneficiary now. Neither my ex-wife or myself reside in Ireland anymore.

Questions:

- Do I need to notify the Irish authorities pension about my new status changes (divorce and further marriage)? If so, to whom? (Department of Welfare? Others?)

- Would either my first or second second wife be entitled to apply for the Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension? Whose entitlement is it? What does thee law says about this?

Any comment about my situation or relevant orientation will be greatly appreciated.

You will only need to notify the Department of Social Protection of your current marriage status if you have a claim or make a claim.

The current situation regarding the Widow(er)s pension is that both surviving spouses (current and former) can apply, provided neither have remarried or are cohabiting.

Back